HAMDEN, Conn. – The Quinnipiac women's ice hockey team got things off on a strong note in the 2018-19 season as the Bobcats defeated the Guelph Gryphons, 4-1, in an exhibition game Saturday afternoon.
Quinnipiac 4, Guelph 1
Frank Perrotti, Jr. Arena | Hamden, Conn.
- (3:37, 1st period) – Quinnipiac 1, Guelph 0): Quinnipiac opened the scoring up when Grace Markey(West Bloomfield, Michigan) retrieved a pass from Renee Saltness (Rochester, Minnesota) and scored five-hole on the Guelph goaltender to give the Bobcats the 1-0 lead
- (8:17, 1st – Quinnipiac 2, Guelph 0): Quinnipiac extended its lead to two when Courtney Vorster(Richmond, British Columbia) corralled a shot from Kenzie Lancaster (Waxhaw, North Carolina) and found the back of the net
- (14:14, 1st – Quinnipiac 2, Guelph 1): The Gryphons pulled within one when Kaitlin Lowy took a pass from Claire Merrick and scored for Guelph's first goal of the game
- (15:03, 1st – Quinnipiac 3, Guelph 1): The Bobcats wasted no time in responding to the Gryphons as Melissa Samoskevich (Sandy Hook, Connecticut) received a pass from Lancaster and fired one past the goaltender for her first goal of the game
- (14:25, 3rd Period – Quinnipiac 4, Guelph 1): The Bobcats added an insurance goal in the third period when Samoskevich corralled her own rebound and skated around the net to deposit her second goal of the game.
- The Bobcats allowed just three shots on goal in the game, including none in the second frame and just one over the final 40 minutes of the game
- Samoskevich led all scorers with two goals in the tune-up and added an assist for a three-point effort
- Lancaster picked up a pair of assists as the only other Bobcat with multiple points
- Vorster and Markey also found the back of the net for the Bobcats with tallies, with Markey following up her freshman campaign after three points
- Quinnipiac officially kicks off the 2018-19 season on Friday night when the Bobcats host the No. 7 Ohio State Buckeyes at 6 p.m. followed by the series finale Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m.