HAMDEN, Conn. – Senior Melissa Samoskevich (Sandy Hook, Connecticut) scored twice on Saturday afternoon at Frank Perrotti Jr. Arena, as Quinnipiac women's ice hockey fell just short for a second-straight day vs. No. 7 Ohio State by the final score of 3-2.
Ohio State 3, Quinnipiac 2
Quinnipiac (0-2-0) / Ohio State (2-0-0)
Frank Perrotti Jr. Arena | Hamden, Conn.
- (5:03, 2nd period) – Quinnipiac 0, Ohio State 1): The Buckeyes opened the scoring in the second period, when Olivia Soares scored on a quick shot that looked to have hit the post. However, after a stoppage in play, the refs confirmed that the goal went in, giving Ohio State the 1-0 lead. Paetyn Levis was credited with the assist.
- (10:45, 2nd period) – Quinnipiac 1, Ohio State 1): The Bobcats got on the board with a little less than 10 minutes to play in the second period, as Samoskevich corralled the puck in the neutral zone and scored on a breakaway to tie the game 1-1.
- (15:07, 2nd period) – Quinnipiac 1, Ohio State 2): The Buckeyes answered within five minutes, as Emma Maltais retrieved a pass from Eve Savander and played it in front of the net to Tatum Skaggs who turned and scored to give Ohio State the 2-1 lead.
- (3:46, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 1, Ohio State 3): Ohio State jumped out to a 3-1 lead when Charyl Dalquist passed it to Tatum Skaggs, who found the back of the net on the power play to give the Buckeyes the 3-1 lead.
- (9:16, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 2, Ohio State 3): The Bobcats pulled themselves within one when Kenzie Prater (Hudson, Wisconsin) played one from the offensive blue line down behind the net. Samoskevich picked up the loose puck and played it off the Ohio State goalie's back and scored for her second goal of the game.
- Samoskevich's two goals against the Buckeyes were the captain's first two official goals so far this season. The senior struck for a team-high 15 goals and 25 points for the Bobcats in 2017-18.
- Quinnipiac recorded 22 shots, giving the Bobcats 42 total shots over the first two contests in 2018-19.
- Samoskevich, Sarah-Eve Coutu-Godbout (Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec) and Lexie Adzija (St. Thomas, Ontario) all have two points through the first weekend of the year.
- Allison Small (Nesttleton, Ontario) made 32 in her first start of the season, including 14 saves in the second period of play.
- Quinnipiac will return to Frank Perrotti Jr. Arena on Quinnipiac's York Hill Campus when it welcomes the Maine Black Bears next weekend for a two-game series. The first game is scheduled for Friday, October 5th with a 6:00 p.m. puck drop.