HAMDEN, Conn. – Taylor House (Joliet, Ill.) and Randi Marcon (Winnipeg, Manitoba) both scored during Friday night's season opener, as Quinnipiac women's ice hockey fell just short vs. No. 7 Ohio State, 3-2, at Frank Perrotti Jr. Arena.
Ohio State 3, Quinnipiac 2
Frank Perrotti, Jr. Arena | Hamden, Conn.
Quinnipiac (0-1-0) / Ohio State (1-0-0)
- (2:59, 2nd period) – Quinnipiac 0, Ohio State 1): The Buckeyes struck first in the early stages of the middle period when Emma Maltais retrieved a pass from captain Jincy Dunne and scored right as Ohio State's power play expired. The goal was Maltais' first in her young 2018-19 campaign.
- (:32, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 1, Ohio State 1): The Bobcats wasted little time tying the game up in the third period when Sarah-Eve Coutu-Godbout (Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec) passed it across the crease to Taylor House who buried her first goal of 2018-19. The goal tried the game at one just seconds 32 seconds into the final frame.
- (10:32, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 1, Ohio State 2): Liz Schepers ended the tie when she corralled a loose puck at the offensive blue line and scored on the breakaway with a little less than 10 minutes to play in the third period.
- (15:15, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 1, Ohio State 3): The Buckeyes extended their lead to two less-than five minutes after taking back the lead in the third period when Madison Field retrieved a pass from Maltais and buried her first goal of 2018-19.
- (18:34, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 2, Ohio State 3): Randi Marcon retrieved a pass from Coutu-Godbout out in front of the net and scored to cut the Bobcats' deficit to one with under 90 seconds to play in the third period. Coutu Godbout got the pass originally from Lexie Adzija (St. Thomas, Ontario) who had the puck pinned on the boards before playing to Coutu Godbout.
- House's game-tying goal was the sophomore's first goal of 2018-19. The illinois native had four goals while wearing the blue and gold in her freshman season in 2017-18.
- Coutu-Godbout's two assist pushes her to the top of the leaderboard for 2018-19 in assists. The junior had six assists in 17-18 and added six goals for a total of 12 points in her second year with Quinnipiac.
- Marcon's goal with 1:34 remaining in the third period was the Bobcats' assistant captains' first goal of the season. Marcon had one goal in 2017-18 and seven goals in 2016-17. She currently has 18 points in her Quinnipiac career.
- Adzija's assist was the freshman's first-career assist as a Bobcat. Adzija comes to Quinnipiac from the Oakville Hornets (PWHL) and was named to Hockey Canada's 2018 U18 - World Championship Squad in 2018.
- Quinnipiac will hit the ice again Saturday afternoon, completing the two-game weekend series vs. Ohio State. Puck drop is slated for 2 p.m. in Hamden.