Offense struggled to find their footing, and the Raiders found their stride quickly, as the Union College women's hockey team fell, 4-0, to Colgate, on Saturday afternoon at Messa Rink.
The Raiders had goals in each period of the game, including two in the second period, to be the lone team to get on the board. With their third road win of the season, the Raiders continue to 11-9-4 (5-4-1 ECAC). The Dutchwomen fall to 2-16-5 (2-6-3 ECAC) with the loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- 15:38 1st (Colgate 1-0) | Danielle Serachny grabbed the puck from behind the net and gave it to an open Darcie Lappan, who scored from right down the middle to open up the scoring and make it 1-0.
- 10:24 2nd (Colgate 2-0) | Colgate's Sammy Smigliani dangled it in upfront and scored to increase the Raider lead to two after Malia Schneider passed it to her right in front of the net. Serdachny was credited with the secondary assist on the first game of the second period.
- 11:46 2nd (Colgate 3-0) | A minute after the second goal, Delani MacKay won the face-off and gave it to Kaitlyn O'Donohoe, who scored right in front.
- 15:16 3rd (Colgate 4-0) | After passing it back and forth up front, Schneider's pass to Allyson Simpson resulted in Colgate's fourth goal of the game, and the first goal of the third game to seal the win for the Raiders.
- Shots were in favor of Colgate, with a close 30-27 margin.
- First-year goaltender Bella McKee made 26 saves during the conference tilt. Her counterpart from Colgate, Liz Auby, made 27.
- Sophomore Grace Heiting led all players in shots on goal, with seven. Senior Katelynn Russ wasn't too far behind and had five.
- Neither team capitalized on the power play, and the Dutchwomen took just one penalty in the game, which was in the first period.
Union College continues the season at home, taking on ECAC opponent Brown at Messa Rink in Schenectady. Puck drop is scheduled for 6 p.m. on Friday, January 11.