Desrosiers Wins 300th as Clarkson Beats Union

Desrosiers Wins 300th as Clarkson Beats Union

Matt Desrosiers won his 300th game as head coach and junior Elizabeth Giguere added two more goals to her nation-leading total as the Clarkson University Women's Hockey team gained a 5-3 victory over Union College in ECAC Hockey action Saturday afternoon at Cheel Arena.

The Golden Knights, ranked seventh in the latest poll, improved to 14-2-4 overall and 5-1-2 in league games. The Dutchwomen, who have posted both of their wins in conference action this year, moved to 2-12-3 overall and 2-4-1 in the ECAC.

Giguere scored twice, pushing her goal total to 21 in 2019-20, allowing her to move into third place all-time at Clarkson in points with 179, surpassing the 178 points tallied in four seasons by Cayley Mercer. Next up for Giguere on Clarkson's all-time scoring list is 2014 Patty Kazmaier winner Jamie Lee Rattray, who scored 181 points in her career with the Golden Knights.

Despite Clarkson receiving the first power-play chance of the game, it was Union that would get on the scoreboard first. Some over aggressiveness by the Clarkson offense put three Golden Knights behind the Union net seeking possession, but the puck kicked out to the Dutchwomen, creating a 3-on-2. Megan Ryan picked up a pass at the blue line and skated in unimpeded to the middle of the right circle where she went top shelf with a hard wrist shot at 12:12.

A few minutes later, Clarkson was on another power play and controlled the puck in the Union end for 75 seconds, despite the two teams going back to even. The Knights took six shots that were either blocked or saved, but the seventh found the twine. Gabrielle David stick-handled behind the net and found Michaela Pejzlova in front, but the senior would not shoot, waiting a second for David to sneak back in front unguarded, and the first-year forward converted at the 17:44 mark.

At the start of the second period, Clarkson was whistled for interference and roughing, creating a near one-minute 5-on-3 for the Dutchwomen. Union showed patience on the play and Katelynn Russ went five-hole up close to put the visitors back up by a goal. Less than two minutes later, Clarkson would knot the game up once again. The Knights were still killing off the second penalty that had allowed Union a 5-on-3, but just 10 seconds back to even, Elizabeth Giguere scored her 20th goal of the year. Stephanie Markowski controlled the puck near the boards at the red line and found Giguere at the blue line. The junior forward skated in and, using a Union defenseman as a screen, quickly wristed a shot to the stick side of Bella McKee, tying the game at 4:55.

Clarkson would take its first lead 10 minutes later and would never trail again. Brooke McQuigge gained possession of the puck near the goal line extended in the corner and chipped a pass out to Kayla Friesen, who tapped the puck out to Markowski near the blue line. That allowed McQuigge enough time to skate back into the slot, and her positioning proved key, as Markowski's shot was deflected in by McQuigge's stick at 14:23 for a 3-2 lead. The Knights held a 31-13 edge in shots on goal through 40 minutes, but only a 3-2 advantage through the first two periods.

That would change quickly at the start of the third period as the Knights picked up a back-breaking goal for the Dutchwomen at the 1:16 mark. Union was attempting to clear the puck, but a back-handed pass near the blue line missed its mark and found the stick of Friesen. She calmly put the puck onto the stick of Giguere at the top of the crease, and while her first chance was denied Giguere's second shot found its mark, giving Clarkson a 4-2 lead.

Clarkson enjoyed a few more chances on offense, including a late power-play chance, but it was an empty net score that would conclude the Golden Knights' scoring. Tia Stoddard stole the puck in Clarkson's defensive end and took a few strides before locating Taylor Sawka. Sawka then skated along the boards and found enough space to shoot into an empty net at 19:11 for a 5-2 Clarkson advantage. A steal by Union in the waning seconds allowed the Dutchwomen to pick up one more goal as well. The first chance was stopped by Marie Pier-Coulombe, but the rebound was never secured and Rachel de Perio chipped the puck in with just two seconds remaining in the game.

Clarkson finished with a 43-18 edge in shots. Coulombe made 15 saves for the Knights and McKee stopped 38 shots for Union. The Dutchwomen were 1-for-4 on the power play, converting on a 5-on-3, and Clarkson was scoreless in its three power play chances.