Union Picks Up Win Over Brown on the Road

Union Picks Up Win Over Brown on the Road

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Brown women's hockey team was defeated by Union, 4-1, on Saturday at Meehan Auditorium. Sophomore Shay Maloney (McHenry, Ill.) scored her team-leading third goal of the season to lead the Bears on the afternoon.

Union (1-8-1, 1-2-0 ECAC) would score three unanswered goals in the second period to take control of the contest before Maloney broke up the run at 16:31 of the third. The Dutchwomen's Katelynn Russ added an empty net goal for the final of 4-1. 

"We had a decent start, but ran out of gas and couldn't adjust our level of intensity to get the job done," said head coach Carisa Zaban Wahlig.

The opening period ended scoreless as Brown (1-6-0, 1-3-0 ECAC) held the edge in shots, 8-7, and fought off the lone penalty called in the frame. Each team had a handful of chances to score, with the Dutchwomen hitting the pipe twice and the Bears having a couple opportunities close range. 

Brown was whistled for body checking early in the second and the Dutchwomen took advantage of the power play as Emily King found the back of the net after the puck moved around the zone. The Dutchwomen kept the pressure on and were able to get two more scores, the first from Grace Heiting at 5:38, and the second from Helen Markovic at 8:39.

Union held a 16-6 shot advantage in shots for the second. The Bears had two power-play chances in the period, with three shots on goal, but could not get a score while Union was 1-for-1 in the stanza. 

Brown got on the board at 16:31 of the third when Maloney connected from the far face-off circle with help of junior Darby Melia (Marshfield, Mass.) and senior Maybelline Beiring (Calumet, Mich.).

The Bears called a timeout at 17:12 and pulled sophomore Hayley Kliczko (Niles, Ill.) to gain the extra skater but Russ recorded the empty net tally at 19:04 to prevent Brown from getting closer. 

Shots favored Union in the third, 8-6, and overall, 31-20. Brown was called for the lone penalty in the third and fought off the infraction, improving its penalty kill to 1-for-3. The Bears were 0-for-2 on the power play with both of their chances coming in the second.

Kliczko finished with 27 saves in net while Union received 19 stops from Bella McKee. 
The Bears will go back on the road, playing their next four games away, starting on Friday, Nov. 15 at Colgate (6:00 p.m.) and Saturday, Nov. 16 at Cornell (3:00 p.m.).