Defense improved in the second and third, but the Dutchwomen struggled to find their stride in their home opener, as the Union College women's hockey team lost, 5-0, to #4 Northeastern on Friday night at Messa Rink.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Huskies opened up scoring in the first period, in the first minute of the game. Alina Mueller scored from just a few feet out to give Northeastern in the 1-0 lead.
- Northeastern added to their lead later in the first, with Skylar Fontaine scoring off a pass from Mueller. The play was reviewed, and awarded after the referee review for goalie interference.
- The nationally ranked Huskies shined offensively in the first period, scoring three more goals, with goals from Gillian Foote, Veronika Pettey, and Matti Hartman to go into the first intermission with a 5-0 lead.
- The Dutchwomen saw improvement in the second period, allowing no Northeastern goals on 9 shots on goal. First-year goalie Bella McKee started her tenure in net after the fourth goal, and shined throughout the second and third periods in relief of senior goalie Amelia Murray.
- The Huskies outshot the Dutchwomen 44-16. McKee's one goal allowed on 31 shots gave her a stellar .968 save percentage on the night. Northeastern goalie Aerin Frankel got her first shutout of the season in her first game of the 2019-20 campaign.
The Dutchwomen play at home again this weekend, on Sunday, October 6, against #8 Boston University for the 13th annual Pink the Rink game. Puck drop is scheduled for 1 p.m. Donations to Susan G. Komen will be taken at the door in lieu of admission. Follow the game on twitter @UnionWHockey, or on the ESPN+ link online.