The Quinnipiac women's ice hockey team opened the 2019-20 season with a 2-1 win over the Providence Friars on Friday night. Freshman Alexa Hoskin scored her first career goal as a Bobcat, and junior Taylor House notched the game-winner. This is the first time the Bobcats have defeated the Friars on the road in Schneider arena.
Quinnipiac 2, Providence 1
Quinnipiac (1-0), Providence (0-1)
Schneider Arena | Providence, R.I.
- (16:15, 1st Period, PP) – Quinnipiac 1, Providence 0): Freshman Alexa Hoskin secured the puck on the right side and found senior Kati Tabin by the left circle. Tabin shot and the blocked rebound went to Hoskin, who buried it past Providence's Clare Minnerath.
- (8:13, 2nd Period, EV) – Quinnipiac 1, Providence 1): Bailey Burton scooped a rebound off of Abbie Ives' save and lifted it into the back of the net to tie the game in the second period. Dove Whitney added the assist.
- (9:44, 2nd Period, EV) – Quinnipiac 2, Providence 0): Senior Kenzie Prater shot the puck from the right wing, and sophomore Lexie Adzija hit the rebound back into Providence's defense. The rebound of Adzija's shot went right to junior Taylor House on the back door, and the junior scored the eventual game-winner to give the Bobcats a 2-1 lead.
- Hoskin scored her first career goal as a Bobcat. The first goal of the season for the Bobcats was on the power play in the first period.
- House tallied her first goal of the season and the game-winner for the Bobcats.
- Seniors Kenzie Prater and Kati Tabin recorded assists in the win, as did sophomore Zoe Boyd and Adzija for their first points of the season.
- Senior Abbie Ives made 14 saves in the win.
- The Bobcats outshot the Friars 25 to 15.
- Quinnipiac was perfect on the penalty kill, allowing Providence just three shots on three attempts.
- Providence won 54% of the faceoffs. For Quinnipiac, Adzija won 9 out of 15.
- Quinnipiac and Providence will play again in Hamden, Conn., on Saturday, Oct. 5 to finish the home-and-home series.