St. Lawrence ends regular season in upset win over No. 6 Princeton

St. Lawrence ends regular season in upset win over No. 6 Princeton

CANTON, NY -- Nadine Edney scored the first goal of the game five minutes into the third period, and Sonjia Shelly made 18 saves to lead the St. Lawrence University women's hockey team to a 2-0 win over sixth-ranked Princeton in the ECAC Hockey regular season finale for both teams on Saturday afternoon at Appleton Arena.

With the win, the Saints improved to 14-13-7 overall, 9-7-6 in ECAC Hockey, and finished fifth in the final conference standings. Princeton fell to 18-6-5, 15-4-3 and will host St. Lawrence in the ECAC Hockey tournament quarterfinals as the No. 4 seed next weekend. 

The game was likely the final game at Appleton for nine St. Lawrence seniors (Edney, Shelly, Justine ReyesRachael SmithLydia GrauerKayla NielsenGrace HarrisonAllison Compeau and equipment manager Currie Smith), who won their 37th career game at the Saints' home rink.

"Today's game was a very fitting senior day as it turned out," said St. Lawrence head coach Chris Wells '92. "Once again it was a great Princeton/SLU game. Both teams play hard and clean and it makes for entertaining hockey. We had a great crowd and we got a good bounce on the power play to get up 1-0; they hit the pipe late and it didn't go in. I'm happy for a fantastic group of nine who were able to be a part of our last game in Appleton before the renovation."

While most of the celebrations for the senior class were held after the final whistle, two seniors were featured after the starting lineups were announced, as the New Zealand national anthem was played to honor Grace Harrison's homeland, and Edney sang the Canadian and American national anthems.

After two scoreless periods, Edney finally got the Saints on the board with a power play goal, shoveling in a rebound after shots by Steph Keryluk and Kayla Vespa were stopped in front. Maggie McLaughlin added an empty-net goal with just 26.9 seconds to play to put the game away.

Harrison started in goal for the Saints and played the first six minutes and 26 seconds and was relieved by Shelly, who closed out the Saints' eighth shutout of the season. Steph Neatby stopped 19 shots for the Tigers.

The first game of the Saints' ECAC Hockey quarterfinal series at Princeton will be played at 6 p.m. on Friday, with game two set for 3 p.m. on Saturday. Game three, if necessary, will be played at 3 p.m. on Sunday.