SCHENECTADY, N.Y. – First-year Grace Heitingrecorded her first career multi-goal game as the Union College women's hockey team scored the final four goals of the game to knock off Dartmouth College by a 4-1 score on Saturday afternoon at Messa Rink.
Heiting and linemate Katie Sonntag both had multi-point games on the day, with Sonntag adding two assists to go with Heiting's two tallies. Junior Ava Reynolds and sophomore Makayla Mori both scored as well for the Dutchwomen in the victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Big Green had the only tally of the opening 20 minutes, scoring on a breakaway chance while short-handed to take the lead.
- Union drew level on the power play with 5:15 left in the second period after Heiting scored from an improbable angle off assists from senior defenseman Arianna Kosakowski and sophomore forward Helen Markovic. From behind the net, the first-year forward banked the puck off the skate of Dartmouth goalie Christine Honor for her third goal of the season.
- Heiting netted her second power-play goal of the day 4:32 into the final period off feeds from junior forward Katelynn Russ and Sonntag to give the Dutchwomen a 2-1 advantage they would not relinquish.
- Mori and Reynolds added a pair of empty-net goals in the final 75 seconds of the game to secure a 4-1 victory for Union, the second goals of the year for both skaters.
- In net, junior goaltender Amelia Murray recorded 21 saves for the Dutchwomen, who outshot the Big Green by a 37-22 margin - including a 30-13 edge over the final two periods.
Union returns to the ice Friday, Feb. 15, hitting the road to battle Princeton at 6:00 p.m. (ET)