ALBANY, N.Y. - The Union College women's hockey team fell to RPI, 2-1, in the second annual Mayor's Cup at the Times Union Center, Tuesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Engineers scored with 1:30 remaining in the opening period to take a 1-0 edge into the second frame.
- Following a Union power play, the puck fell to an RPI forwards who converted a breakaway opportunity to take a 2-0 lead at 16:22 of the second period.
- The Dutchwomen got on the scoreboard 6:34 into the final period when first-year forward Katie Sonntag scored for the third time in as many games on the power play to bring Union within a goal.
- In the end, the Engineers quelled the comeback attempt by the Dutchwomen and came away with a 2-1 victory.
- Junior goaltender Amelia Murray made 23 saves in net for the Dutchwomen to keep them in the game.
Union returns to action Friday, Feb. 1, traveling to Ithaca to face #6 Cornell at 6:00 p.m. (ET)