NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Quinnipiac women's hockey team lost a battle of a game against #9/9 Providence College on Saturday night in the Nutmeg Classic Championship. Senior Kate MacKenzie scored her second goal of the season in the first period. Hayley Lunny netted both of the Friar's goals in the third period.
MacKenzie and senior Melissa Samoskevich were named to the Nutmeg Classic All-Tournament team.
Quinnipiac Bobcats 1, #9/9 Providence Friars 2
Quinnipiac (4-8-3, 3-2-1 ECAC) / Providence (12-2-0, 7-1-0 HEA)
Ingalls Rink | New Haven, Conn.
- (19:26, 1st period EV) – Quinnipiac 1, Providence 0: Kate MacKenzie scored her second goal of the season off a slapshot from the left point that went straight past Madison Myers to give the Bobcats the lead. Randi Marcon and Kati Tabin recorded assists on the goal.
- (8:03, 3rd period PP) – Quinnipiac 1, Providence 1:Hayley Lunny tied the game with a power play goal from right above the crease.
- (14:36, 3rd period EV) – Quinnipiac 1, Providence 2: Lunny scored the game-winning goal off a rebound from a shot by Neve Van Pelt to give the Friars the lead.
- Kate MacKenzie netted her second goal of the season.
- Randi Marcon recorded her second assist of the season, and Kati Tabin tallied her fifth.
- Abbie Ives recorded 23 saves and is now 4-5-3 on the season.
- The Bobcats went 0-1 on the power play, and the Friars went 1-2.
- The shots were fairly even between both teams: Quinnipiac recorded 21 and Providence tallied 25.
- The Bobcats won 52 percent of the faceoffs while the Friars won 48 percent.
Quinnipiac will face Princeton in a home-and-home series starting on Friday, Nov. 30 at Hobey Baker Rink in Princeton, N.J. Puck drop is set for 6 p.m.