NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Quinnipiac women's hockey defeated the UConn Huskies, 3-2, on Friday, Nov. 23 at Ingalls Rink in the first game of the Nutmeg Classic. Abbie Ives recorded a season-high 39 saves in the win, and Melissa Samoskevich led the Bobcats with two goals.
Quinnipiac Bobcats 3, UConn Huskies 2
Quinnipiac (4-7-3, 3-2-1 ECAC) / UConn (6-8-1, 3-6-1 Hockey East)
Ingalls Rink | New Haven, Conn.
- (7:40, 1st period EV) – Quinnipiac 1, UConn 0: Melissa Samoskevich recorded her fourth goal of the season after skating past two UConn defenseman and finding the back of the net off a difficult angle from the right side. Laura Lundblad and Kenzie Prater recorded the helpers.
- (13:35, 1st period EV) – Quinnipiac 2, UConn 0:Prater recorded her second assist of the day after launching the puck to Laura Lundblad from Quinnipiac's blue line. Lundblad scored her first goal of the season to give the Bobcats the 2-0 lead.
- (00:22, 2nd period EV) Quinnipiac 2, UConn 1: –UConn's Danika Pasqua scored her first goal of the day in the opening minute of the second period after redirecting a shot from Morgan Wabick.
- (9:03, 2nd period EV) Quinnipiac 2, UConn 2: – Pasqua scored again nine minutes later on a breakaway and found the inside post past Abbie Ives. Wabick and Kayle Mee recorded the assists.
- (10:56, 2nd period PP) Quinnipiac 3, UConn 2 – Samoskevich scored her second goal of the game on a Bobcat power play. Kenzie Lancaster passed from the corner to Zoe Boyd, who was at the point. Boyd sent the puck to Samoskevich who sent it to the back of the net past UConn's Morgan Fisher.
MOMENT OF THE GAME
In the third period, Allison Roethke took a cross-checking penalty to send UConn on the power play. With 40 seconds left in the first power play, Randi Marcon was sent to the box for a tripping penalty. The Bobcats stayed solid and killed off the 5-on-3 penalty and the remaining UConn power play to keep the 3-2 lead.
- Melissa Samoskevich scored two goals in the win. Her second goal was on the power play and was the game-winner. Samoskevich has recorded two power play goals on the season and now has six points with five goals and one assist.
- Abbie Ives recorded a season-high 39 saves with 17 coming in the third period.
- Laura Lundblad recorded her first goal of the season and an assist.
- Zoe Boyd and Kenzie Prater recorded two assists each. Kenzie Lancaster also tallied a helper.
- The Bobcats went 1-3 on the power play, and the Huskies went 0-4.
Quinnipiac will play in the Nutmeg Classic Championship against the winner of Providence/Yale. The puck drop is set for 7 p.m. at Ingalls Rink in New Haven, Conn.