HAMDEN, Conn. – The Quinnipiac Bobcats dropped a tight 2-1 game against #6/6 Cornell on Friday, Nov. 16. Sophomore Brooke Bonsteelscored her first goal of the season in the third period to bring the Bobcats within one goal, but the Big Red held on to the lead to secure the ECAC victory.
Quinnipiac supported the DIFD or "Do It For Daron" foundation by wearing purple patches against Cornell with the hope to raise awareness for youth mental health. The heart formed by the players shown in the header is a symbol of DIFD and its logo, which is a purple heart. To find out more about DIFD, please click here, and if you would like to donate to help mental health initiatives at Quinnipiac University, please click here.
Quinnipiac 1, Cornell 2
Quinnipiac (3-6-2, 3-1-0 ECAC) / Cornell (4-1-2, 3-1-0 ECAC)
Frank Perrotti Jr. Arena at People's United Center | Hamden, Conn.
- (15:53, 2nd period) – Quinnipiac 0, Cornell 1: The Big Red netted the first goal of the game in the second period as Diana Buckley poked the puck past Abbie Ives after a hard net drive by Jamie Bourbonn.
- (8:28, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 0, Cornell 2: Cornell's Paige Lewis skated to the corned from the top right side and sent a diagonal pass across Quinnipiac's goal to Kristin O'Neil who scored on the right side of Ives.
- (9:55, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 1, Cornell 2: The Bobcats looked to make a comeback in the last half of the third period after Brooke Bonsteel scored her first goal of the season. Bonsteel received a cross-ice pass from Kenzie Lancaster who was on the break. Bonsteel drove hard to Cornell's net and sent the puck past Marlene Boissonnault.
- Brooke Bonsteel scored her first goal of the season and now has three points on the season with two assists and one goal.
- Lancaster recorded her third helper of the year.
- Abbie Ives recorded 25 saves and is now 3-4-2 on the season.
- The Bobcats were perfect on the penalty kill, allowing only two shots for Cornell through six minutes of penalties.
- The shots for each team were fairly even through the game with Quinnipiac recording 23 and Cornell tallying 27.
- Quinnipiac won 58% of the faceoffs while Dartmouth won 42%.
Quinnipiac will host Colgate on Saturday, Nov. 17 at 3 p.m. for the Bobcat's second game of the weekend.