Brown Remains Undefeated with Third Period Comeback

Brown Remains Undefeated with Third Period Comeback

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Trailing 3-1 entering the third period, the Brown women's hockey team put together an impressive comeback and scored four unanswered goals to claim a 5-3 victory over UConn on Tuesday night at Meehan Auditorium. Freshman Tina Paolillo (East Haven, Conn.) provided the game-tying goal at 16:43 on her first collegiate tally while Sena Hanson netted the go-ahead score on a breakaway with just 16 seconds remaining.  

UConn (4-3-1) would score three-straight goals in the second to take a 3-1 lead into the final period. Sophomore Kaitijane Blumberg (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) put the Bears back in the game to trail by one (3-2) with her first of the season at 3:02. Hanson and freshman Lizzy Gross (Scarborough, Maine) teamed up for the assists.

Paolillo tied up the contest 3-3 at 16:43 when she collected the rebound in front from junior Veronica Alois' (Andover, Mass.) shot.

After a Brown (3-0-0) timeout at 19:13, Hanson came up with a turnover and beat her defender in the neutral zone to go one-on-one with the goalie and fire in her second goal of the season at 19:44.

With the Huskies netminder pulled, the Bears were able to force a turnover in the closing seconds and Blumberg recorded an empty net goal for her second tally of the night with just one second left on the clock for a 5-3 final.

Freshman Hayley Kliczko (Niles, Ill.) finished the game with 40 saves for the Bears in her first collegiate game. The rookie posted double digit saves in the first two periods with 16 and 17, respectively.

Hanson (1-1-2), Blumberg (2-0-2) and Gross (1-2-3) all finished with multiple points.

After a hat trick in her previous game, Gross was the first to score on the night, taking the puck coast-to-coast for her fourth tally of the season at 17:49 of the first period. Sophomore Abby Nearis (Beverly, Mass.) notched the assist by winning the puck in Brown's defensive zone.

UConn tied the contest soon into the second on a goal from Morgan Wabick at 3:22. The Huskies quickly took the lead by capitalizing on their first power play of the day, on a Jaime Fox score at 5:55. Wabick tallied her second goal of the night at 11:40 of the period on UConn's second special teams tally for a 3-1 lead.

UConn outshot the Bears in the first (16-7) and second periods (20-2)  but the Bears would come out firing in the third to hold a 13-7 edge for the stanza.

Brown will next open ECAC play on the road at Quinnipiac on Friday, Oct. 26 and at Princeton on Saturday, Oct. 27. The first game of the weekend will begin at 6:00 p.m. in Hamden, Conn. while the second contest in Princeton, N.J. will start at 3:00 p.m. Both games will be broadcast live on ESPN+.