Big Green Tie Engineers in Penultimate Home Game

Courtesy: Gord Honor
Courtesy: Gord Honor

HANOVER, N.H. – For the second time in the last month, Dartmouth women’s hockey and Rensselaer went to overtime, skating to a 1-1 tie at Thompson Arena on Friday evening. The Big Green are now 5-17-2 and 3-14-2, while the Engineers moved to 9-16-6 and 6-10-3. 

Junior Tess Bracken netted her eighth goal of the season in the second period to pick up her 11th point of 2017-18. Freshman Megan Cornell and sophomore Sabrina Huett ended up with a point on the play. Junior netminder Christine Honor played very well and ended up with 42 saves.

“That was a really good effort,” interim head coach Joe Marsh said. “We came back from a bad shift that they scored on and played better. We had a sense of urgency in the second and played much better in the third. We won a lot of battles and, overall, I am happy with what I saw. It would have been nice to get the W, but this was a great learning experience. 

“I saw a lot of growth, even in the course of the game. Sabrina and Christina were great. Emily had a good game, and Jen played well. When a number of players pick it up, it elevates the collective group. This was a good situation for our kids to learn how to go forward.” 

RPI almost got on the board early in the first when Honor made a save, but lost track of the puck and found it sitting behind her just inches off the goal line. She acted quickly and got a stick on it, while sophomore Bailee Brekke did a great job clearing it. With under 20 seconds to go, Bracken’s shot from a tough angle sailed over Lovisa Selander and hit the inside of the right pipe, but was waved off by officials and the game remained scoreless heading to the second. 

There were another couple close calls for both teams to start the second period, including a hit post by freshman Linda Essery, but it was Bracken that broke the tie at 8:10. Cornell’s shot from the blue line found Huett in the crease and Bracken finished it off, but the lead did not last long, as RPI tied it up exactly three minutes later.

Dartmouth had a minute of 5-on-3 hockey to start the third and try to break the tie, but RPI managed to kill off both penalties. Both the Big Green and the Engineers played aggressively, but the goalies had some great saves, sending the game to overtime. RPI had a 5-1 shot advantage in OT, but Honor stopped all five of those to ensure that the game would end in a tie.

The Big Green will play their final home game on Saturday against Union.