Princeton Rallies for Win at Dartmouth

Princeton Rallies for Win at Dartmouth

Sophomore defender Sylvie Wallin scored the game-winning goal with 1:27 remaining in the game to lift Princeton to a 3-2 win over Dartmouth at Thompson Arena on Friday night.

The Tigers rallied from a 2-0 deficit, scoring twice in the final six minutes to start the weekend with a victory.

Neither team was able to get much momentum in the first period as nine players took seats in the penalty box, with Dartmouth going 0 for 4 on the power play and Princeton 0 for 5.

Megan Cornell scored her first goal of the season early in the second period to give her team the lead before Sydney Hill converted on the Big Green's fourth power-play opportunity four minutes later at 6:19.

Junior Keiko DeClerck cut it to a one-goal game at 11:09 with an unassisted goal, her third goal of the season and second goal in as many games. She was able to pick the puck off the boards and away from the Big Green in their zone, made a couple of nice moves on the way to the goal and fired one over the shoulder of Christie Honor.

Two more penalties on the Big Green to start the third period gave Princeton the edge it needed as freshman Shannon Griffin converted on a power-play opportunity for her third goal of the season. Senior Kiersten Falck carried the puck up the ice and around the back of the net where she pushed it into the slot. Wallin knocked it over to the left pipe where Griffin was positioned and she lifted the puck over the opposite shoulder of Honor to tie it at 2-2 at 14:00.

Wallin intercepted a Dartmouth pass at the checkered red, and handle the puck on her own on the way to the goal, letting it fly as she got to the top of the circles and it went past the open glove.

Honor was pulled for the extra attacker for the final 47 seconds but freshman Rachel McQuigge held on for her first career win in an 11-save performance.

The Tigers face Harvard tomorrow afternoon at 4 p.m., at the Bright-Landy Hockey Center.