Last-Minute Goal Lifts Princeton Over Dartmouth

Photo by Doug Austin
Photo by Doug Austin

HANOVER, N.H. – A Tiger goal scored with just over a minute to go in the third period lifted Princeton over the Dartmouth women's hockey team, 3-2, at Thompson Arena on Friday evening. The Big Green dipped to 3-7-0 and 1-5-0 in ECAC Hockey play, while the Tigers improved to 3-7-3 and 3-5-1.

Senior Sarah Tabeek and freshmen Megan Cornell and Linda Essery ended the night with their first career points. Cornell netted Dartmouth’s first goal, while Tabeek (in her first game in a hockey jersey), assisted, and Essery got the helper on sophomore Sydney Hill’s second goal of the last two games.

“This was kind of a rehash of the Brown game,” interim head coach Joe Marsh said. “We had a lead that got away from us. Princeton is a very good team. I thought we played solid and worked really hard. It’s a disappointing loss. There were some tough breaks tonight. We almost tied it at the end. The kids worked really hard and I’m proud of that. Certainly, the effort was there and the kids gave everything they had.” 

There were a combined nine penalties in an 11-minute span in the first period, but neither team was able to find the back of the net during that time. Princeton outshot Dartmouth, 12-4, but had few opportunities that posed much of a threat.

After a messy first period, both teams found their stride in the second. At 2:48, Tabeek intercepted a Princeton cross and passed to Cornell, who backhanded the puck over goalie Rachel McQuigge’s head. Less than four minutes later, Hill got her second goal of the last two games, firing to the right of the netminder following passes by Turner and Essery. At 11:09, Princeton got one back, and Dartmouth headed to the third with a 2-1 edge. 

It seemed as if the Tigers had tied things up a minute into the third, but after extended video review, it was found that there was goalie interference and the Big Green remained a tally ahead. Princeton was relentless, outshooting Dartmouth, 23-0, before scoring the equalizer at 14:00. With sights set on overtime, the Tigers scored their third at 18:43 to take the lead. Junior Alyssa Baker had a great opportunity to tie things up again, but the shot went just wide and time expired.

The Tigers outshot the Big Green, 50-13, and went 1-for-8 on the power play, while Dartmouth was 1-for-6, as Hill’s marker was scored with just over 10 seconds to go with the extra player. Junior Christine Honor played well, ending the night with 47 saves.

Dartmouth will return to the ice on Saturday to host Quinnipiac at 3 p.m.