ITHACA, N.Y. – The Colgate Raiders traveled to Ithaca, N.Y. this afternoon to take on the #10 Cornell Big Red in an ECAC matchup and fell by a score of 2-1.
Both teams looked strong in the first period. Colgate had several great looks on net, but were not able to get past Cornell netminder Paula Voorheis. In the Raiders defensive end, Julia Vandyk came up with key stops, including multiple point blank attempts to keep the score knotted at zero.
Just over five minutes into the second period, junior Shelby Perry netted her sixth goal of the season on the powerplay. Annika Zalewski sent the puck to Perry who took a hard shot that sailed past the goalie. Also earning an assist on the play was Breanne Wilson-Bennett.
With less than five minutes remaining in the second, Cornell's Kaitlin Doering was able to slip one between the pipe and the shoulder of Vandyk to even the score at 1-1.
Three minutes into the final period, Hanna Bunton handed the Big Red a 2-1 lead.
The Raiders continued throwing shots on goal and netted what they thought was the equalizer with 25 seconds remaining in regulation but the goal was overturned upon further review.
Colgate got one final shot on goal with seconds left on the clock but it sailed high and the Big Red kept their 2-1 lead to win the game.
Vandyk and Voorheis each tallied 21 saves between the pipes for their teams.
- Cornell 2, Colgate 1
- Colgate shifts to 15-6-3 overall and 6-5-1 in ECAC play.
- Cornell moves to 12-5-2 overall and 8-2-2 in ECAC.
Key Raider Info
- Scoring for the Raiders was Perry.
- Earning assists on the night were Wilson-Bennett and Zalewski.
Facts & Figures
- The Raiders were 1-for-2 on the powerplay, while the Big Red were 2-for-6.
- Cornell slightly outshot Colgate 23-22
- Three Raiders tallied points in the contest.
- Leading Colgate in shots was Jessie Eldridge with four.
- The Raiders are back in action on Friday, Jan. 20 when they travel up north for a contest with St. Lawrence. Puck drop is set for 6 p.m.
- Live stats and video will be available at the start of the contest.