Dartmouth Picks Up First Win of 2017 Over UNH

HANOVER, N.H. – Dartmouth women’s hockey scored twice in the first period and held on to the lead throughout the remainder of the game to defeat New Hampshire, 2-1, at Thompson Arena on Tuesday evening. The Big Green – which picked up their first win of the second half of the season – improved to 3-12-0, while the Wildcats dipped to 9-13-1.

Five different Dartmouth players ended the night with a point apiece. Senior captain Mackenzie St. Onge scored her first goal since 2014, while freshman Cecilia Lopez scored her first goal ever. Senior Kennedy Ottenbreit, and sophomores Kate Landers and Tess Bracken earned assists. In net, sophomore Christie Honor had a great game, making 31 saves in 60 minutes while allowing just one goal, earning her first win of her career.

“I am really proud of our girls tonight,” head coach Laura Schuler said after the game. “Everybody bought into the game plan and they found a way to win. I thought we had a really good first period and thought they showed a lot of resilience in the third. They battled hard and competed and never gave up. Christie was outstanding in her first collegiate victory and it was great to see Cecilia get her first goal. I couldn’t be happier and am really proud of all of them.”

For just the third time this season, the Green got on the board first. At 12:15 in the first period, St. Onge picked the puck up off Ottenbreit's stick, skated from the right to the left of the net and backhanded it behind Kyra Smith in net. At 18:58, Bracken circled behind the net and passed to Lopez, who was waiting by the right pipe, and the rookie backhanded the puck in. Throughout the opening period, the Big Green sported a 10-8 shot advantage.

It did not take long for the Wildcats to get one back. At 2:18 in the second, Meghara McManus skated the length of the ice and, while falling, fired into the upper right corner. With four minutes to play, sophomore Alyssa Bakertook a chance and Kyra Smith saved her shot, but senior Eleni Tebano appeared out of nowhere and backhanded the rebound, sending the shot just wide of the net. After an eventful second period, the Wildcats stole the lead in shots, 17-15.

The closest either team got to scoring in the third came with just over five minutes to play when Marie-Jo Pelletier took a shot from the point and hit the right post. The puck sat inches from the goal line for a few seconds before Honor could get a glove on it. Dartmouth almost made it a two-goal game when freshman Christina Rombaut got the puck and went to fire at the empty net, but was blocked three times by UNH defenders.

The Wildcats outshot the Big Green, 32-25. Neither team was able to score on the power play; Dartmouth went 0-for-2 and UNH was 0-for-3.

The Big Green will return to Thompson Arena over the weekend, hosting ECAC Hockey rivals Union and Rensselaer.