Big Green Falls to St. Lawrence on Senior Day

Big Green Falls to St. Lawrence on Senior Day

HANOVER, N.H. – After entering the third period trailing, 4-2, and scoring twice in the third period to tie things at four, the Dartmouth women’s hockey team ultimately fell to St. Lawrence by a score of 6-4 on Senior Day at Thompson Arena.

Senior Gianna Guarino made her career debut between the pipes, spending 24 minutes in net and making seven saves while allowing three goals.

Leading the way was fellow senior Karlee Odland, who scored Dartmouth’s first goal and added an assist to total two points. Six other Big Green players ended the afternoon with a point.

Just 20 seconds into the first period, Odland got in the way of a St. Lawrence pass, skating around a Saints defender to pocket the puck in the right side of the net. St. Lawrence evened the score at 13:43 when Jenna Marks scored an unassisted tally.

The Saints had a three-goal second period to break the tie and give them a 4-1 lead in the span of seven minutes. At 3:15, Kayla Raniwsky scored the visitor’s second goal of the game following a scuffle in the crease, and that was followed up less than a minute later with a Brooke Webster tally at 4:09. At 10:53, Hannah Miller tacked on one more.

With 38 ticks remaining in the second, sophomore Devon Moir swooped in to pick up the puck after a St. Lawrence player lost her footing and passed it right between two Saints to junior Catherine Berghuis, who scored her third of the season.  

Dartmouth’s quickest goal of the season came 17 seconds into the third stanza, when sophomore Kennedy Ottenbreit faked out a St. Lawrence defender and snuck the puck past Carmen MacDonald. At 11:40, junior Laura Stacey’s shot was saved, but rebounded to classmate Lindsey Allen, who’s 19th tally of the season tied the score at four with just over eight minutes to go in the game.

With three and a half minutes remaining on the clock, Marks scored the eventual game-winner, hitting the puck off sophomore Robyn Chemago’s padded hand to flip the puck into the net. At 18:44, Kirsten Padalis added one more, an empty netter, to end the game.

St. Lawrence outshot Dartmouth, 38-28. After entering the game in the second period, Chemago totaled 25 saves while allowing two goals.

Because Clarkson defeated Harvard, 1-0, and is the top seed in the conference, Dartmouth will travel to Potsdam, New York, to face the Golden Knights for the second time in a week in the ECAC Hockey Quarterfinal next Friday and Saturday, Feb. 27-28. This is the second year in a row that Dartmouth will face Clarkson in the quarterfinal.