ECAC HOCKEY SEMIFINAL
#6/6 Union (25-8-3) vs. #9/9 Cornell (20-7-3)
Dates/Times: March 15/7 p.m
Location/Venue: Lake Placid, N.Y./Herb Brooks Arena
Division I Series Record: Cornell leads, 32-20-8
Audio | Radio: 106.1 FM, 1160/1240AM
Video | TV Coverage (ASN, SNY, TSN 2)
All-Tournament Passes | Single Game Tickets
SCHENECTADY, N.Y.--The sixth-ranked Union College men's hockey team will be making its fifth ECAC Hockey semifinal appearance this weekend when it takes on No. 9/9 Cornell on Friday. The Dutchmen head into the weekend eyeing their fourth Whitelaw Cup in program history.
Mike Vecchione and Spencer Foo have been named as two of the 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker Memorial Award. They are the fourth and fifth Union players to earn the honor, joining Daniel Ciampini '15 (2015), Shayne Gostisbehere '15 (2014) and Troy Grosenick '13 (2012). The duo's selection marks just the fifth time that ECAC Hockey teammates have been named to the top 10 in the same season. The 10 Hobey finalists were chosen in voting conducted by head coaches from all 60 Division I programs. A 27-member Selection Committee will determine this year's winner, which will be announced at the Frozen Four on April 8.
LAST TIME OUT
#6/7 Union 4, Princeton 3 (OT) - March 11 - Messa Rink
Union Goals: DeSimone, Maier, Foo, Vecchione (PS)
Multiple Points: Foo (1G-1A)
Princeton Goalie: Colton Phinney (L) - 34 saves, 38 shots
Union Goalie: Alex Sakellaropoulos (W) - 39 saves, 42 shots
Power Play: Union 0-2, Princeton 2-5
Noteworthy: Princeton scored two goals in the third to take a 3-2 lead with 1:10 remaining, but Spencer Foo netted the game-tying goal at 19:38 to force overtime ... Brett Supinskilooked to have scored the game winner in OT, but the goal was called back due to interference ... Vecchione was awarded a penalty shot on the play and he converted ...Sakellaropoulos made 17 saves in the first period ... The win extended Union's unbeaten streak to a seven-best seven games (6-0-1) ... The Dutchmen finished 12-3-1 (.781) at Messa Rink.
UNION VS. CORNELL ALL-TIME SERIES
Union is 20-32-8 against Cornell in its Division I era and winless in the last four meetings (0-3-1) between the two teams. The Dutchmen are 3-5 against the Big Red in the postseason. Friday's game will be the sixth straight meeting between the two sides with at least one team ranked in the top 20.
LAST MEETING: Feb. 25, 2017 – Union 3, Cornell 3 (ot) – Union clinched a share of its fourth ECAC Hockey regular season title on the final day of the regular season, battling to a 3-3 tie at Lynah Rink. Union led 3-2 in the third, but Mitch Vanderlaan netted the game-tying goal at 14:59. Brett Supinski registered his first three-point game of the season (1G-2A), Mike Vecchione had a goal and an assist and Jeff Taylor dished out a pair of helpers.
Cornell defeated sixth-seeded Clarkson in three games to advance to the semifinals. The Big Red rebounded from a 6-2 loss in game one with 2-1 victories in games two and three. Cornell registered just 12 shots on goal in game three, while Mitch Gillam stopped 31 shots.
- Union is 11-1-0 when Alex Sakellaropoulos makes 30 or more saves.
- With its win on Saturday, Union improved to 15-1-0 when scoring first.
- The Dutchmen are 12-0-0 when being outshot.
- Cole Maier scored his fourth game-winning goal of the season in Friday's 4-1 win, tying him with Jeff Taylor for second on the team.
- Nick DeSimone was a team-best +5 in the ECACH Quarterfinal and finished tied for the team-high with four blocked shots (Spencer Foo, Ryan Walker).
- Five Union players finalists for ECAC Hockey yearly awards: Mike Vecchione (Player of the Year, Defensive Forward of the Year), Spencer Foo (Player of the Year), Jeff Taylor(Defensive Defenseman of the Year), and Alex Sakellaropoulos (Goaltender of the Year). Head coach Rick Bennett is also a candidate for Coach of the Year.