Michael Lombardi (Barrington, Rhode Island) scored his second goal of the season Saturday night but the No. 9/9 Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team lost in non-conference action at Arizona State, 4-1.
With the Bobcats trailing 3-0 just past the midway point of the second period, Lombardi buried a shot in the slot off a feed from Odeen Tufto (Chaska, Minnesota) who extended his point streak to four games with the primary assist on the goal.
The Sun Devils added a goal just two minutes later to reclaim a three-goal lead and pick up their second straight win over the Bobcats.
Quinnipiac 1, Arizona State 4
Quinnipiac (4-3-0, 0-0-0 ECAC Hockey) | Arizona State (5-3-0)
Oceanside Ice Arena | Tempe, Arizona.
- (8:54, 1st period) - Quinnipiac 0, Arizona State 1: Austin Lemieux put the Sun Devils on the board with his first of the night as he received a pass from Logan Jenuwine on a two-on-one breakaway and put the puck in the back of the net.
- (11:15, 1st period) - Quinnipiac 0, Arizona State 2: Jacob Wilson doubled the lead with a four-on-four goal as he skated through the slot and tipped home a centering feed from James Sanchez.
- (8:41, 2nd period) - Quinnipiac 0, Arizona State 3: The Sun Devils took a 3-0 lead near the midway point of the second period as Johnny Walker cleaned up a rebound in front off a short from Sanchez and slid the puck across the goal line.
- (11:48, 2nd period) - Quinnipiac 1, Arizona State 3: Lombardi connected on his second of the season as PJ Fletcher (Dana Point, California) slid the puck down to Odeen Tufto (Chaska, Minnesota) in the lower left corner of the offensive zone where he found Lombardi in the slot for the ripper to beat Arizona State goaltender Evan DeBrouwer.
- (13:45, 2nd period - SH) - Quinnipiac 1, Arizona State 4: The Sun Devils answered back less than two minutes later as PJ Marrocco scored on a shorthanded breakaway up the left wing to re-take their 4-1 lead.
- Lombardi connected on his second goal of the season to give him points in three of his last five games.
- He now has seven career goals after five as a freshman in 2018-19.
- Tufto continues to be an assist machine as he recorded a point for a fourth consecutive game and now has points in six of the seven games this season
- Tufto leads ECAC Hockey with nine assists and is tied for second in the nation while his nine points are tied for third in the league
- He now has 68 career assists and 92 points as he continues his quest to become the 41st player in program history to record 100 points
- Fletcher recorded his second career point with his second assist of the season with a great pass to help set-up Lombardi's goal
- The Bobcats open up ECAC Hockey play next weekend on the road as they travel to Dartmouth Friday night to take on the Big Green at 7 p.m. from Thompson Arena before heading to Harvard to face the Crimson at the Bright-Landry Hockey Center at 7 p.m.