Junior goaltender Darion Hanson made 30 saves for his fifth career shutout, and both Colin Schmidt and Fletcher Fineman scored their first collegiate goals to help Union to a 3-0 win against Canisius on Friday night at LECOM Harborcenter.
With the win Union improves to 2-7-0 on the season, while the Golden Griffins drop to 0-4-0. Despite the shutout victory, Canisius out-shot the Dutchmen 30-25 in the contest, including 24-13 through the first two periods.
- Colin Schmidt got the Dutchmen on the board in the waning minute of the first period, scoring on a rebound to net his first career goal.
- Zachary Emelifeonwu scored his third goal in a two-game span to put the Dutchmen up 2-0 early in the second.
- Sophomore defenseman Fletcher Fineman score his first career goal in the final three minutes of the second period.
- After being out-shot for two periods, Union out-shot Canisius, 12-6, in the third period. However, neither team was able to score in the final period of play.
- Neither team could convert on the man advantage, as Union went scoreless on four power-play chances, while killing off all five penalties it was assessed.
- First-year skaters accounted for over half of the offensive production in the contest.
Up Next for the Dutchmen
Union and Canisius return to the ice at LECOM Harborcenter tomorrow evening to finish off the weekend series. Puck drop is slated for 4 p.m. (ET).