HAMDEN, Conn. – Four different Quinnipiac men's ice hockey player scored goals Sunday afternoon as the Bobcats shut out the Vermont Catamounts, 4-0, at Frank Perrotti Jr. Arena.
Wyatt Bongiovanni (Birmingham, Michigan) scored a goal for a fourth straight game while Nick Jermain (Norwalk, Connecticut), Ethan de Jong (North Vancouver, British Columbia) and Joe O'Connor (Hamden, Connecticut) all scored their second goals of the season.
Keith Petruzzelli (Wilbraham, Massachusetts) made several big saves Sunday in his fourth career shutout, finishing the game with 21 saves.
Quinnipiac jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first period with Jermain and de Jong's goals before Bongiovanni added an insurance goal in the second period.
The Bobcats came up big in the third period as they killed off a five-on-three power play early on with Petruzzelli making three key saves before O'Connor made it 4-0. Petruzzelli made 10 of his 21 saves in the final period.
Quinnipiac 4, Vermont 0
Quinnipiac (4-1-0, 0-0-0 ECAC Hockey) | Vermont (1-3-0, 0-1-0 Hockey East)
Frank Perrotti Jr. Arena at the People's United Center | Hamden, Conn.
- (13:11, 1st period) – Quinnipiac 1, Vermont 0: Jermain got the Bobcats on the board with a breakaway goal in the first period as Peter DiLiberatore fired a pass from the defensive zone into the offensive zone for Jermain to chase before he backhanded the shot past Vermont goaltender Stefanos Lekkas.
- (16:03, 1st period) – Quinnipiac 2, Vermont 0: The Bobcats doubled the lead two minutes later as Odeen Tufto (Chaska, Minnesota) won a faceoff in the offensive zone. Bongiovanni shifted it to Karlis Cukste (Riga, Latvia) on the left point where de Jong tipped his shot and gathered his own rebound for the goal
- (16:39, 2nd period) – Quinnipiac 3, Vermont 0: Bongiovanni scored a goal of his own in the later stages of the second period as Tufto moved the puck to de Jong on the left side where de Jong fed it through the slot and Bongiovanni just got his stick on it to defelct off Lekkas and into the net.
- (6:11, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 4, Vermont 0: O'Connor got in the scoring mix early in the third period with his second of the season as Skyler Brind'Amour (Raleigh, North Carolina) came up with a loose puck in the neutral zone and flipped it to Guus van Nes (Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht, Netherlands) skating into the offensive zone. van Nes touched the puck to O'Connor where he just beat Lekkas on the pad side.
- Bongiovanni extended his goal and point streak to four games with a goal and an assist in the Bobcats win over the Catamounts
- Bongiovanni now leads all of ECAC Hockey with four goals on the season after his second straight two-point game
- Petruzzelli recorded his first shutout of the season and the fourth of his career with his 21-save performance on Sunday
- Petruzzelli now has 110 saves and a .909 save percentage on the season
- de Jong picked up his second straight two-point game with a goal and an assist for the fifth multi-point game of his career
- Jermain notched his second goal of the season with the game-winner
- O'Connor also recorded his second goal of the season Sunday as he capped off the Bobcats scoring
- Brind'Amour tallied two assists for the first two-point game of his career as he recorded helpers on the first and final goals of the game
- DiLiberatore now has points in five straight games to open the season, tied for the longest streak of his career, after an assist on Jermain's game-winning goal
- van Nes recorded the first point of his collegiate career with an assist on O'Connor's goal, the fifth different Bobcat to record his first career point this season
- Cukste also picked up an assist, his second helper of the season and 50th point of his career.
- Quinnipiac kicks off a stretch of four straight road games next weekend as the Bobcats travel to Arizona State for a pair of games in Tempe, Arizona
- Puck drop is set for 9:05 PM ET / 7:05 PM MT on Friday and Saturday night at Oceanside Ice Arena
- For more information on the Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team, visit gobobcats.com/mih and visit the team on Twitter and Instagram, @QU_MIH.