Playing in the first game of the entire 2019-20 NCAA Division I men's ice hockey season, Union College dropped a 7-3 decision to visiting Boston College on Saturday afternoon at Messa Rink.
- Despite conceding the first two goals, the Dutchmen rallied to tie the game, 2-2, before the end of the first period.
- Forward Chaz Smedsrud scored his first collegiate goal to open the scoring for the Dutchmen.
- Junior Sean Harrison netted Union's second goal with less than three minutes to play in the first period to tie the game up.
- Boston University would then go on to out-score Union, 5-1, with a 21-2 shots on net advantage in the second period.
- Senior Anthony Rinaldi scored on the power play to give Union its third goal of the game.
- The Dutchmen played better defensively in the third period, limiting BU to just eight shots on net, and kept the Terriers from further goal scoring, which included killing off a five-on-three penalty.
Up Next for the Dutchmen
Union heads to Army West Point tomorrow, Sunday, Oct. 6, to close out the opening weekend to the new season. Puck drop against the Black Knights is slated for 4 p.m. (ET) at Tate Rink.