Clarkson's Season Ends with OT Loss to Notre Dame

Clarkson's Season Ends with OT Loss to Notre Dame

The Clarkson University Hockey team overcame several adverse situations in the NCAA Northeast Regional Tournament game against Notre Dame on Friday night at SNHU Arena in Manchester, NH, but in the end the Golden Knights just did not have enough as the Fighting Irish pulled out a 3-2 overtime victory.

The Golden Knights had to overcome a slow start, kill off a five-minute major just 19 seconds into the third period, lost one of the top players in the country for the final 19:41 of regulation and all of overtime, and had a penalty-shot attempt go against then. Clarkson overcame each of those, but at 15:53 of the extra session Notre Dame's Cam Morrison knocked in a shot from the side of the crease to end the Green and Gold's season.

Junior goaltender Jake Kielly (Eden Prairie, MN), a Top 5 Finalist for the Mike Richter Award, was a standout in the game, making 35 saves, including several big stops on excellent chances by Notre Dame.

Clarkson weathered a slow start to the game as Notre Dame held an 8-0 shot advantage through the opening 14 minutes. The Knights picked up steam as the stanza wound down and got on the scoreboard first at 16:56. Senior Marly Quince (Sioux Lookout, ONT) took a pass along the left boards from classmate Juho Jokiharju (Tampere, Finland) and fired in a shot from the bottom of the left circle that got past Fighting Irish goaltender Cale Morris for the Green and Gold's first NCAA Tournament goal since 2008. Sophomore defenseman Connor McCarthy (LaSalle, QUE) also assisted with a pass out of the zone to Jokiharju.

Kielly made 11 saves in the first. Two of his best efforts were a stop on the breakaway by Colin Theisen at 13:10 and point-black save on Matt Steeves at the 10-minute mark.

Notre Dame had another couple great opportunities to get on the scoreboard early in the second with back-to-back Grade "A" scoring attempts by Cal Burke and Graham Slaggert on a bang-bang sequence from in close, but Kielly once again denied the Fighting Irish.

Notre Dame finally got one past Kielly at 4:58 of the middle frame when Theisen finished off a 2-on-1 down load, lifting in a shot from the top of the crease.

The Knights' leading goal scorer, junior Haralds Egles (Liepaja, Latvia) put the Knights back on top with his 19th goal of the season, connecting on a blast from the right circle at 6:50. Junior co-captain Devin Brosseau (St. Lambert, QUE) and senior defensemanAaron Thow (Toronto, ONT) picked up the assists.

Clarkson's penalty-kill units came up big early in the third. Just 19 seconds into the period, junior Nico Sturm (Augsburg, Germany) was whistled for a 5-minute major hit-from-behind penalty, forcing him to leave the game and putting Notre Dame on a lengthy man-advantage. The Knights' successfully shut down the Fighting Irish's extended power play and then were successful on another man-down situation about a minute after the major penalty had ended.

With their goaltender pulled for the extra attacker at 2:39, the Irish tied the game on a goal by Bobby Nardella with 2:20 remaining in regulation.

At 8:27 of overtime, Notre Dame had a penalty shot, but Kielly forced the Irish's Cal Burke to put his attempt just wide of the net.

Clarkson's penalty kill was rock solid, going 4-of-4 shorthanded. The Knights went 0-of-3, including a man-advantage opportunity in overtime.

Clarkson closes out of its best seasons of the 2000s with a 26-11-2 record.

Notre Dame improves to 23-13-3 and will face Massachusetts in the Northeaster Regional Final on Saturday with the winner advancing to the Frozen Four in Buffalo on April 11-13.