HAMDEN, Conn. – Alex Whelan (Ramsey, New Jersey) had two goals and an assist for a three-point night but the No. 5/5 Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team fell to the Brown Bears, 4-3, in Game Two of the ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals.
With the loss, the Bobcats were eliminated from the ECAC Hockey Tournament and will await selection for the NCAA Tournament.
Whelan's three-point night was just the second of his career after recording a hat trick earlier this season against AIC.
Craig Martin (Trail, British Columbia) tallied a goal and an assist for a two-point night as he tallied the Bobcats' extra attacker goal with 1:56 left in the third period as they tried to mount a comeback after Brown tallied four goals in the first 13:13 of the period.
Quinnipiac 3, Brown 4
Quinnipiac (25-9-2) | Brown (15-13-5)
Frank Perrotti Jr. Arena at the People's United Center | Hamden, Conn.
- (1:08, 1st period) – Quinnipiac 1, Brown 0: Whelan got the Bobcats going on their first shot of the game after Karlis Cukste (Riga, Latvia) backhanded a puck from the left point to Whelan in the right faceoff circle that he snapped past Brown goaltender Gavin Nieto
- (14:12, 1st period) – Quinnipiac 2, Brown 0: Whelan added a second goal in the later stages of the first period after William Fällström (Stockholm, Sweden) fired a shot that was knocked down but Whelan was there to poke the rebound past a diving Nieto
- (1:22, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 2, Brown 1: After a Quinnipiac shot was saved at the other end, the Bears started a counter attack to the offensive zone where Max Gottlieb received a pass from Colin Burston skating across the zone and wristed one past Quinnipiac goaltender Andrew Shortridge
- (1:54, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 2, Brown 2: Brown tied the game just 32 seconds later Tommy Marchin put home his first of the night off a rebound backhanded through the slot from Chris Berger.
- (11:21, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 2, Brown 3: Brent Beaudoin scored his ninth goal of the season after picking up a Quinnipiac turnover and skating it down the ice where he beat Shortridge with the wrister.
- (13:13, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 2, Brown 4: Marchin added his second of the game less than two minutes later as Tristan Crozier won a faceoff that was tipped by Berger to Marchin for the one-timer in the slot
- Whelan's three-point night was the second of his career after his hat trick earlier this season against AIC
- He scored two goals in a game for the third time in his career and now has 11 multi-point games
- Martin notched a pair of points as he now has a career-high 28 points on the season, passing his sophomore year total of 27
- Martin's goal was his 10th of the season and is one shy of his sophomore year mark of 11
- Cukste recorded an assist to give him points in both games this weekend and now has 20 points on the season to give Quinnipiac four 20-point defenseman, the only team in the nation with four defensemen with 20 points
- Quinnipiac has not had four defensemen each record 20 points in a season since the 1999-2000 season when Matt Erhart (31), Anthony DiPalma (30), Dan Ennis (29) and Kris Cumming (27) did so.
- Fällström picked up his 13th assist of the season with a helper on Whelan's second goal
- Rafferty also recorded an assist on the goal to give him 19 on the season as he looks to record 20 assists in a year for the second time in his career
- DiLiberatore also picked up an assist for his 16th of the season and now has 19 points, putting him one shy of giving Quinnipiac five 20-point players
- Quinnipiac awaits its NCAA Tournament opponent at the selection show to be aired on Sunday, March 24 at 7 p.m.