HAMDEN, Conn. – Andrew Shortridge (Anchorage, Alaska) tallied a career-high 38 saves Friday night but the No. 5/5 Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team fell to the Brown Bears, 2-1, in overtime in game one of the ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals series.
Shortridge was stellar all night long, stopping the first 25 shots he faced before Brent Beaudoin forced overtime with the game-tying goal in the final 30 seconds of play in regulation. Shortridge continued his great play, making several big saves in overtime but Jack Gessert managed to sneak one past him with 2:58 to play in overtime.
Despite the loss, Shortridge's nation-leading save percentage went up to .945 on the season while his GAA continues to lead the nation at 1.40.
Karlis Cukste (Riga, Latvia) scored the game's first goal 4:21 into the second period for his second goal of the season that initially give the Bobcats a 1-0 lead before falling in overtime.
Quinnipiac 1, Brown 2
Quinnipiac (25-8-2) | Brown (14-13-5)
Frank Perrotti Jr. Arena at the People's United Center | Hamden, Conn.
- (4:21, 2nd period) – Quinnipiac 1, Brown 0: Nick Jermain (Norwalk, Connecticut) won a faceoff in the defensive zone back to Peter DiLiberatore (Bedford, Nova Scotia) and he rimmed the puck around the zone and up the left boards. A Brown defenseman had trouble controlling the puck and Cukste chased down the puck. He skated into the left offensive circle before wristing a rocket past Brown goaltender Gavin Nieto.
- (19:38.5, 3rd period - EX) – Quinnipiac 1, Brown 1: Brent Beaudoin tied the game with just 21.5 seconds as he sent a pass up to Zach Giuttari at the right point. Giuttari shifted it back down to Beaudoin, who went around the faceoff circle before wristing one just past Shortridge's outstretched pad.
- (17:02, Overtime) – Quinnipiac 1, Brown 2: Gessert scored the game-winning goal for the Bears after Colin Burston's shot in the slot went wide of the net and ricocheted off the boards back to Gessert where he shoveled a backhander past a sprawling Shortridge
- Cukste's goal was his second of the season and first since Dec. 29 against Colgate at Nassau Coliseum while he now has 19 points to tie for fourth among Quinnipiac defensemen in points
- Cukste also had six blocks in Friday night's game in addition to his goal
- Shortridge made a career-high 38 saves in the losing effort on Friday night, surpassing his previous best of 37 at Dartmouth on Jan. 7, 2017 from his freshman year
- Shortridge's save percentage went up to .945 and his GAA is at 1.40, both remaining the best in the nation
- Jermain recorded a point for a third straight game with an assist on Cukste's goal
- DiLiberatore also extended his point streak to four games as he picked up his 18th point of the season with his 14th point.
- Quinnipiac and Brown meet in game two of the ECAC Hockey Quarterfinals Saturday night with puck drop set for 7 p.m. from Frank Perrotti Jr. Arena.