Princeton rallies to force longest game in program history, falls to Brown in triple overtime

Princeton rallies to force longest game in program history, falls to Brown in triple overtime

PROVIDENCE, RI -- Princeton scored three extra-attacker goals in a span of 2:47 to force overtime in a must-win Game 2 against Brown. The game would be the longest in either program's 100+ year history, with Alex Brink scoring the game-winning goal at 3:30 of the third overtime in a game that lasted 103:30.

The game-winning goal was reviewed for quite a while with the linesmen calling in on the referees to take a look at a potential offsides. In the end the call on the ice stood and it was a good goal for the Bears.
Brown came into the zone and sophomore Ryan Ferland made save on Brent Beaudoin but lost his stick in the process. Alex Brink collected the loose puck and circled back around and into the slot where he sent a backhander past Ferland, playing with the stick of his defenseman.

At the start of the first overtime Ferland made a re-appearance between the pipes. He originally started the game and was pulled at 12:46 of the first after Brown scored two quick goals. For the next 40+ minutes of overtime it was a battle between he and Gavin Nieto as both teams left everything out on the ice.
Princeton's best chance was a breakaway opportunity for Alex Riche, but he was denied at the near post by Nieto.

"We had the three extra-attacker goals and it prolonged the game," head coach Ron Fogarty said. "We had a breakaway opportunity with Alex that we missed on. It was unfortunate with the video review. It was inconclusive, the replay footage had skips or there was inadequate bandwidth or whatever it was, but that's just kind of our fate."

Princeton had two chances to light the lamp first with back-to-back penalties on Brown. The Tigers best chances was a 2x1 effort between Ryan Kuffner and Max Véronneau with Nieto making an incredible save on Véronneau on the slide to the back door.
Six minutes later Brown tallied two quick goals, just 30 seconds apart. Freshman Jeremie Forget, who had started the previous three games took the place for Ferland.
The Tigers were able to cut into their deficit with a power-play goal from senior Alex Riche at 17:18. Junior Jackson Cressey played catch with Kuffner before he unleashed a shot from the left point, where it was redirected by Riche in the slot.
Kuffner and Riche teamed up again for an even-strength goal at 11:43, the lone goal of the second period. After a collision at the Brown blue line took out a player from each team, Riche picked up the loose puck circled into the zone and fed Kuffner across the slot for the back door goal.
Brown got the go-ahead goal at 1:11 of the third as Tommy Marchin wristed in a shot from the blue line right in front of the penalty box that made its way through traffic. Colin Burton expanded the lead at 11:19 when a Princeton defender lost his footing behind the goal with Alex Brink collecting the loose puck and tossing it in front for Burton. Brady Schoo had a near identical goal to Marchin at 15:23 to make it 5-2 Brown.
Following the goal, Forget was replaced with senior Austin Shaw in what would be his final game as a Tiger.
With 3:46 remaining, Fogarty elected to put on the extra skater and well it seemed to work out. Princeton scored three extra-attacker goals in 2:47 to tie the game and force overtime, with  Riche scoring at 16:24, Kuffner at 17:41 and Cressey at 19:11.

Tonight's game cracked the NCAA top-25 longest collegiate hockey games
Princeton's previous longest game was 89:54 from the 2009 ECAC Hockey semifinal between Princeton and Cornell at the Times Union Center in Albany.