HAMILTON, NY – Behind five different goal-scorers, the Colgate men's hockey program handily earned a 5-1 victory over No. 20 Union on Friday night at Class of 1965 Arena.
Sporting their bicentennial jerseys celebrating Colgate at 200 Years, the Raiders served up four straight goals through the first 41:00 of action before Union responded. Colgate's consistent play closed the conference game on a high note as they completed the scoring late in the third for a 5-1 win and to seal its fourth victory against a ranked opponent this season.
COLGATE SCORING PLAYS
• Period 1 | 14:42 – After Ben Sharf's shot from the point, Paul McAvoy picked up the rebound at the edge of the crease and tucked it under the pads for Colgate's 1-0 lead.
• Period 2 | 01:02 – Picking up the puck below the goal line, Nick Austin sent it along the boards to Tyler Pennerwho poked it around the defenseman to an open Griffin Lunn. The freshman dodged into the Union zone for a 2-on-1 opportunity and scored the eventual game-winner.
• Period 2 | 17:15 – Taking advantage of a tangle in the corner, Josh McKechney claimed the puck from a defenseman and served up a backhanded shot at the goal that lifted the Raiders to a 3-0 lead.
• Period 3 | 00:57 – After a chuck of the puck by Trevor Cosgrove, Adam Dauda picked up the puck at the blue line before swerving past the defenders. A shot inside the near post at a low angle earned Colgate's 4-0 advantage.
• Period 3 | 15:24 – Lots of traffic along the goal line created a cluster before the puck popped out in the slot. A quick wrist shot by Hunter Racine found the top shelf to close out the scoring.
• In a game featuring five different goal scorers, 12 total players got on the score sheet with a point.
• With his opening tally, sophomore Paul McAvoy earned his first of the season. His goal snaps a scoring drought dating back to Feb. 24, 2018.
• Freshman Griffin Lunn's first career goal in the second period stood as the game-winner.
• Earning his fourth of the season was sophomore Josh McKechney. His unassisted tally lifted the Raiders to a 3-0 lead.
• In addition to marking his fourth goal of the season, senior Adam Dauda earned a multi-point night by marking an assist on the game's fifth goal by Racine. The center is now on a two-game scoring streak after marking a tally at Brown (Feb. 16), while it marks his 12th multi-point performance in his career.
• Senior Hunter Racine closed out the scoring with his second of the season. He is now on a two-game point streak while it marks his second goal in the last five games.
• Freshman netminder Mitch Benson posted 32 saves, for his 12th 30-plus save game of the season. The performance included a game-high of 14 saves in the second period and just one goal against on the night.
• The Raiders had a perfect penalty kill on the night, going 5-for-5 on the kill. It marks the 13th time this season Colgate has held its opponent scoreless on the power play.
• With its victory over No. 20 Union, it marks Colgate's fourth win over a ranked opponent this season.
• Also of note, sophomore Nick Austin led the team with a plus-4 rating on the ice where he earned an apple on Lunn's game-winner.
• McKechney, Dauda, Racine, Bobby McMann, Trevor Cosgrove all begin two-game point streaks.
• Defensively, junior Ross Craig led the team with four of the team's 14 blocked shots on the night.
THE BOTTOM LINE
• Colgate 5, No. 20 Union 1
• Colgate holds a 9-19-3 record, and a 6-10-3 mark in ECAC Hockey action.
• No. 20 Union is 15-10-6 overall on the season, and is 8-9-2 in ECAC play.
Colgate wraps up its action at home Feb. 22 as it hosts RPI. Being the final regular season game at Class of 1965 Arena, the team will host a pregame recognition session for its five-player senior class for Senior Night. Puck drop is slated for 7 p.m.