HANOVER, N.H. – Scoring twice in the final four minutes of regulation, the Union College men's hockey team came out with a 3-1 against Dartmouth on Saturday night at Thompson Arena.
The Dutchmen improve to 14-9-5 on the season and now hold a conference record of 7-8-1, which puts Union in eighth place in the league standings. Dartmouth falls to 8-12-3 on the season and sits just one point ahead of Union in the standings with a league record of 7-7-2.
- Ryan Walker scored the game-winner, one-timing a shot off the face off from Cole Maier with less than four minutes to play in the third period.
- Dartmouth out-shot Union 34-24, including a 11-5 difference in the second period. However, Union out-shot the Big Green, 9-7, in the third.
- After Dartmouth opened the scoring in the second period, Greg Campbell scored his second of the weekend less than three minutes later to tie the game back up.
- Darion Hanson made 33 saves for his eighth win of the year.
- Neither team could score on the power play, as both teams went 0-for-2 with the man advantage.
How It Happened
After skating to a 3-3 tie the night before against RPI, the Big Green came out fired up in the first period. However, despite Dartmouth out-shooting Union, 16-10, in the first period, both sides would retire to their locker rooms scoreless for the first intermission.
With the momentum from the first period, Dartmouth opened the scoring early in the second with a goal from Matt Baker. But the lead wouldn't last long as the Dutchmen responded to tie the game back up less than three minutes later.
With a three-on-two rush up the ice, Sean Harrison dished the puck over to Greg Campbell to make it a two-on-one with Jack Adams. Campbell to the left of the net and let got a centering pass to Adams, that instead deflected off a Dartmouth defenseman and into the net.
Campbell's goal would be one of the few looks that Union would get in the period, as Dartmouth out-shot the Dutchmen, 11-5, in the period.
Union would then make a surge in the third period to make sure it came away with the victory. Both teams had power plays early in the period, but neither converted on them. It wasn't until the 16:14 mark when Union took a lead off a mirror image of a goal from the previous night.
Senior captain Cole Maier won an offensive-zone face off, and Ryan Walker stepped into the loose puck and fired off a one-timer that beat Adrian Clark to put Union up 2-1.
The Big Green then pulled Clark in final two minutes, but Liam Morgan stole the puck in the defensive zone and skated down the ice to score on the empty net to secure the 3-1 win.
Up Next for the Dutchmen
Union returns home to next weekend, Feb. 15-16, to host Quinnipiac and Princeton. Both games are slated for 7 p.m. (ET) start times.