HAMDEN, Conn. – The No. 4/4 Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team blanked the Yale Bulldogs, 4-0, Friday night to retain the Heroes Hat for a seventh straight season and claim sole possession of second place in the ECAC Hockey standings.
Andrew Shortridge (Anchorage, Alaska) needed just 23 saves to record his fourth shutout of the season and backstop the Bobcats to the win over the Bulldogs.
Nick Jermain (Norwalk, Connecticut) put the Bobcats up near the mid-way point of the first period with his first goal of the season while William Fällström (Stockholm, Sweden) and Luke Shiplo (Oakville, Ontario) added key insurance goals early in the second period. Michael Lombardi (Barrington, Rhode Island) added his fifth goal of the season with 2:42 to go in the third period.
The Bobcats dominated from the opening faceoff, outshooting the Bulldogs 50-23 and had an impressive 24-7 advantage after just the first period.
Quinnipiac 4, Yale 0
Quinnipiac (21-5-1, 10-4-1 ECAC Hockey) | Yale (11-8-3, 9-5-1 ECAC Hockey)
Frank Perrotti Jr. Arena at the People's United Center | Hamden, Conn.
- (8:01, 1st period) – Quinnipiac 1, Yale 0: Jermain put the Bobcats up early in the game after peppering Yale goaltender Corbin Kaczperski with shots. Karlis Cukste (Riga, Latvia) fired the puck through traffic where it was saved by Kaczperski but Jermain was on the backdoor to shovel home the backhander that deflected off a Yale defender.
- (2:13, 2nd period) – Quinnipiac 2, Yale 0: The Bobcats took a 2-0 lead early in second period as Fällström sat on the doorstep to chip home a perfect pass from Peter DiLiberatore (Bedford, Nova Scotia) in the left faceoff circle.
- (4:37, 2nd period) – Quinnipiac 3, Yale 0: Shiplo buried a goal of his own less than two-and-a-half minutes later as he faked a shot from the right point and skated down into the circled where he beat Kaczperski five-hole.
- (17:18, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 4, Yale 0: Lombardi capped off the victory with his late third period goal. Chase Priskie (Pembroke Pines, Florida) rimmed the puck around but Jermain was there to collect a fortunate bounce. He flung the puck on net where it was saved but Lombardi was there to put home the rebound.
- Shortridge's fourth shutout of the season moves him into a tie for fourth in the nation and remains second in ECAC Hockey while he continues to lead the nation with his 1.14 GAA and .955 save percentage
- The Bobcats recorded a season-high 50 shots in Friday's win over Yale, their most in a game since recording 54 in a loss to Maine back on Dec. 8, 2017
- Jermain recorded his first multi-point game of the season as he scored his first goal
- He now has points in two of his last three games
- Fällström buried his sixth goal of the season to give himself points in his last two games
- Shiplo scored his third goal of the season and first since the Bobcats win vs. Princeton on Nov. 30
- Lombardi's goal was his fifth of the season as he now has goals in two of his past three games
- Tufto extended his point streak to three games as he recorded an assist for his 36th point of the season
- Priskie extended his point streak to five games with his 20th assist, reaching the 20-helper mark for the second time in his career and first since his freshman season
- Cukste also recorded an assist for a fourth straight game as he now has 17 points on the season
- Martin tallied an assist to give him points in three of his last four games
- DiLiberatore now has assists in each of his last three games with a helper Friday night
- de Jong picked up an assist as he now has points in back-to-back games and 21 points this season.,
- The Bobcats host the Brown Bears Saturday night for the final game of the weekend series
- Puck drop is set for 7 p.m. from Frank Perrotti Jr. Arena