POTSDAM, N.Y. – TJ Friedmann (St. Louis, Missouri) buried the game-winning goal on a breakaway with 2:29 to go in the third period Friday night as the No. 5/5 Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team defeated the No. 10/10 Clarkson Golden Knights, 4-2, at Cheel Arena.
Friedmann's game-winning goal was also his first career goal as he buried the puck off a breakout pass from Peter DiLiberatore (Bedford, Nova Scotia).
Odeen Tufto (Chaska, Minnesota) and Michael Lombardi(Barrington, Rhode Island) each scored first period goals for the Bobcats while Craig Martin (Trail, British Columbia) wrapped up the scoring with an empty-net goal late in the third period.
Andrew Shortridge (Anchorage, Alaska) made 25 saves between the pipes for the Bobcats once again, including 19 saves over the final two periods of play to secure his 11th win of the season.
Quinnipiac 4, Clarkson 2
Quinnipiac (19-5-1, 8-4-1 ECAC Hockey) | Clarkson (17-8-0, 8-5-0 ECAC Hockey)
Cheel Arena | Potsdam, N.Y.
- (13:42, 1st period - PP) – Quinnipiac 1, Clarkson 0: Less than 30 seconds after a Clarkson penalty, the Bobcats took a 1-0 lead with a power-play goal. Priskie controlled the puck and overlapped with Brogan Rafferty (Dundee, Illinois) to hit Fortunato with a pass on the right wing. Fortunato quickly found Tufto for the snap shot in the slot to take the lead
- (18:04, 1st period) – Quinnipiac 2, Clarkson 0: Lombardi doubled the Bobcats lead with just under two minutes to go in the period. A Clarkson shot rattled around the boards and the rebound was ultimately chased down by Lombardi on the wing. Lombardi and Jermain streaked down the ice on a two-on-one passing back and forth before Lombardi beat Clarkson goaltender Jake Kielly on the near side.
- (17:28, 2nd period) – Quinnipiac 2, Clarkson 1: The Golden Knights got a goal back with 2:32 to go in the second period as Chris Klack scored his second of the season. Nick Campoli controlled the puck below the goal line after a pass from Aaron Thow and managed to pass the puck to Klack stepping into a shot from the right point to beat Shortridge.
- (3:29, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 2, Clarkson 2: Clarkson tied up the game early in the third period as Haralds Egle put home a rebound on the breakaway off an initial shot from Nico Sturm near the goal that was kicked away by Shortridge.
- (17:31, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 3, Clarkson 2: Friedmann found the back of the net for the first time in his career with a breakaway off feeds from Martin and DiLiberatore. Friedmann skated into the offensive zone on a mad dash before wristing the puck past Kielly
- (19:28.6, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 4, Clarkson 2: Martin capped off the Bobcats victory over the Golden Knights with an empty net goal with Tufto and Karlis Cukste (Riga, Latvia) picking up the assists.
- Tufto eclipsed 30 points for a second consecutive season as he tallied a goal and an assist to snap a three-game pointless streak
- Tufto's goal was his 12th of the season while he recorded his 19th helper
- Friedmann became the ninth different Quinnipiac freshman to record a goal this season with the game-winner with 2:29 to go in the third period
- He now has five points on the season with a goal and four assists
- Priskie recorded an assist on Tufto's first period goal to extend his point streak to three games
- The assist was also Priskie's 30th point of the season, becoming the fourth Quinnipiac defenseman in program history to record a 30-point season
- Priskie is also just the second defensemen in the nation to reach the 30-point mark
- Martin recorded a goal and an assist to give him his second straight two-point game and eighth two-point game of the season
- Martin now has nine goals and 14 assists for 23 points
- Shortridge notched 25 saves for a fourth consecutive game as he extended his winning streak to three games
- Shortridge continues to lead the nation with a 1.21 GAA and .953 save percentage
- Fortunato picked up an assist on Tufto's power-play goal for to extend his point streak to five games as he reached 20 assists on the season for the first time in his career
- Lombardi picked up his fourth goal of the season and first since Dec. 29
- Jermain assisted Lombardi's goal for his second helper of the season
- Cukste recorded an assist to give him assists in back-to-back games and has now tied his career-high with 15 points this season
- DiLiberatore also recorded an assist to give him points in four of his last six games
- The Bobcats travel down Route 11 Saturday to take on the Saint Lawrence Saints Saturday night.
- Puck drop is set for 7 PM from Appleton Arena.