RPI ties No. 18 Union, loses Mayor's Cup in shootout

RPI ties No. 18 Union, loses Mayor's Cup in shootout

ALBANY, N.Y. – Freshman Owen Savory recorded his first collegiate shutout to lead the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) men's hockey team to a scoreless tie with 18th-ranked Union College at the Seventh Annual Mayor's Cup at the Times Union Center. With the draw, the Engineers move to 7-17-1 overall, while the Dutchmen are now 12-7-5. Union captured the Mayor's Cup Trophy with a 3-2 shootout win, which went six rounds.

Savory (Cambridge, ON/St. Catharines Falcons) made 12 saves in the first period, seven in the second and 22 in the third, to keep the game scoreless heading into overtime. He then made two stops in the extra session to secure his first shutout with the Engineers.

Union controlled play through the early stages of the contest, outshooting RPI, 12-5, in the first period. Junior Jacob Hayhurst (Mississauga, ON/Cedar Rapids RoughRiders) turned in the Engineers' best chance to score in the opening stanza, but his breakaway attempt was stymied by the left pad of Union sophomore goaltender Darion Hanson (East Bethel, MN).

The Engineers battled back in the second to the tune of a 12-7 shot edge, but neither team could find their way onto the scoresheet. Union hit the pipe on a pair of occasions, including in the third period. Savory made two of his 22 third period stops on the penalty kill, late in the frame.

In overtime, the Engineers took control in the offensive zone and had numerous chances to break through. The game remained scoreless, however, official entering the record books as a scoreless tie.
Union senior captain Cole Maier (Pequannock, NJ) broke a 2-2 deadlock in the shootout's sixth round to give the Dutchmen the trophy win. RPI finishes the regular season series with an unbeaten 2-0-1 mark.

RPI returns to action this weekend, when it hosts Colgate and No. 13 Cornell on Friday and Saturday, respectively. Union hosts the Big Red and Raiders on Friday and Saturday. Puck drop is scheduled for 7pm for each game.