Clarkson's win streak ends against St. Lawrence

Clarkson's win streak ends against St. Lawrence

CANTON, N.Y. -- A four-game winning streak over its archrival ended on Friday night in Canton, NY as St. Lawrence defeated Clarkson 4-2 before 2,170 North Country fans at Appleton Arena.

The Golden Knights, who stand at 8-6 overall and 2-3 in ECAC Hockey, will host the Saints (3-11-1, 1-3-1) on Saturday in a 7:00 p.m. faceoff at Cheel Arena.

Clarkson put a season-high 50 shots on net and controlled long stretches of play against St. Lawrence, but the Knights did not capitalize on several Grade A scoring opportunities, while the Saints made the most of theirs to gain the league win.

St. Lawrence got an early bounce and opened the scoring at 4:07 of the first period. Ted Green's shot from the top of the left circle deflected off a Clarkson defender at the top of the crease and past Golden Knight junior goaltender Jake Kielly (Eden Prairie, MN).

Senior Marly Quince (Sioux Lookout, ONT) had the best opportunity to put the Knights on the scoreboard in the opening period, but his point-blank shot 1:30 in was turned aside by Saints' goaltender Daniel Mannella at the far post.

St. Lawrence took a 2-0 lead when Ryan Garvey knocked in a rebound at 7:30.

Hard worked behind the Saints' net by sophomore John Carter MacLean (Basking Ridge, NJ) during a penalty kill led to the Knights' first goal. Battling for the puck, MacLean forced it free and sent a pass out front to Nico Sturm, where Clarkson's junior center fired in a quick shot at 11:41 for his team-high seventh goal of the year and the Green and Gold's first shorthanded tally of the season.

The Saints' regained their two-goal lead late in the period, capitalizing on a Clarkson turnover at the blueline with David Jankowski's score at 18:28, putting the home team up 3-1.

Clarkson made it a one-goal game early in the third when Haralds Egle (Liepaia, Latvia) found a loose puck in the corner and skated out front where he slipped in his seventh goal of the season at 5:20.

At 14:10 the Saints made it 4-2, as Michael Laidley took a pass out of the corner and buried a shot all alone if front.

Clarkson outshot 50-30 St. Lawrence.  Mannella made 48 saves to earn the win for the Saints. Kielly finished with 26 stops.

Clarkson was 0-of-2 on the power play and killed off both of the Saints' man-advantage opportunities.