HAMILTON, N.Y. – The No. 14/14 Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team capped off a weekend sweep in ECAC Hockey play Saturday night with a 5-0 shutout of the Colgate Raiders at Class of 1965 Arena.
Quinnipiac benefitted from three power-play goals in the third period to put the game out of reach as Wyatt Bongiovanni (Birmingham, Michigan) netted two power-play goals in the period followed by Craig Martin's (Trail, British Columbia) goal.
Luke Shiplo (Oakville, Ontario) also scored his first goal of the season in the win while Daniel Winslow (Fairfield, Connecticut) found the back of the net for the second time.
Keith Petruzzelli (Wilbraham, Massachusetts) recorded his second career shutout with 21 saves in Saturday night's win. It also marked Quinnipiac's third overall shutout on the season.
Quinnipiac 5, Colgate 0
Quinnipiac (9-2-0, 4-2-0 ECAC Hockey) | Colgate 3-7-1, 1-2-1 ECAC Hockey)
Class of 1965 Arena | Hamilton, N.Y.
- (15:30, 1st period) – Quinnipiac 1, Colgate 0: Colgate defenseman Ken Citron turned over the puck in the Colgate defensive end and Wyatt Bongiovanni (Birmingham, Michigan) controlled the puck. He wristed the puck across the offensive zone to a wide open Shiplo who buried his first goal of the season.
- (4:48, 2nd period) – Quinnipiac 2, Colgate 0: The Bobcats scored their first power-play goal of the night as Chase Priskie (Pembroke Pines, Florida) shift the puck to Odeen Tufto (Chaska, Minnesota) in the left faceoff circle. Tufto's initial shot was saved by Bongiovanni crashed the rebound and chipped home the goal
- (7:21, 2nd period) – Quinnipiac 3, Colgate 0: After a Josh McKechney checking from behind major, Bongiovanni scored his second game of the night and first of two on the major power play. Brandon Fortunato (North Hills, New York) passed the puck to his left to Bongiovanni as he hit the slot before Bongiovanni banked the puck off Benson's pads and into the net.
- (8:53, 2nd period) – Quinnipiac 4, Colgate 0: Just over 1:30 after Bongiovanni's goal, Martin scored a power-play goal of the his own as he batted home a rebound out of mid-air after Ethan de Jong's (North Vancouver, British Columbia) shot was saved by Benson.
- (11:21, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 5, Colgate 0: Peter DiLiberatore (Bedford, Nova Scotia) hit Tufto with a pass along the far boards. Tufto quickly tapped the puck to Winslow at the top of the left faceoff circle where he wristed the puck past Benson for the goal
- Petruzzelli tallied 21 saves in his second career shutout
- His shutout was the third shutout of the season for the Bobcats
- Quinnipiac recorded its second weekend sweep of the season and first in league play since sweeping Clarkson and St. Lawrence on Feb. 2-3, 2018
- The Bobcats scored three power-play goals in a game for the second time this season and first since scoring four power-play goals against AIC on Oct. 27
- Bongiovanni tallied his second career two-goal game and first career three-point game with his impressive performance against the Raiders
- His three-point night was the fifth three-point performance on the season
- Shiplo scored his first goal of the season with his first period tally, which also stood as the game-winner
- Martin found the back of the net for the first time since Oct. 26 with the power-play goal
- Winslow's goal was his second of the season after scoring his first goal against Rensselaer last weekend
- Priskie picked up his fifth multi-point game of the season with his pair of assists
- Priskie's two-assist game was his first of the season as he takes over the team lead with 14 points
- Tufto recorded his first two-assist game of the season and fourth two-point night
- Last season, Tufto had 10 games with multiple assists
- Karlis Cukste (Riga, Latvia) picked up his eighth assist of the season and had a helper for a second straight night
- de Jong recorded his sixth assist of the season and first since Nov. 2 at Harvard
- DiLiberatore also netted an assist Saturday night for his fourth point of the season
- Quinnipiac blocked a season-high 16 shots, highlight by Priskie's career-high five blocked shots
- The Bobcats head back on the road for a two-game series at in Orono, Maine against the Maine Black Bears. Puck drop for Friday night is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Alfond Arena.