St. Lawrence Upended By RPI, 3-2

St. Lawrence Upended By RPI, 3-2

First-year Kaden Pickering scored his first collegiate goal and Keenan Suthers notched his team-leading third of the year, but a third period power play goal helped Rensselaer upend the St. Lawrence men's hockey team, 3-2, on Saturday night in Troy, New York.

The Saints struck first for the first time this season, but the team's traded goals in the opening frame to go into the first intermission tied 2-2. After a scoreless second, Jacob Hayhurst and RPI cashed in on the Engineers' second power play opportunity of the game at 13:11 of the third to take a 3-2 lead and seal the win.

Daniel Mannella made his first start of the season for St. Lawrence and finished with 34 saves in the loss. RPI's Linden Marshall stopped 23 in the win.

St. Lawrence falls to 1-7-0 overall and 0-2-0 in ECAC Hockey contests, while RPI moves to 3-4-0 with a 3-1-0 in conference play.

Pickering opened the scoring at 10:21 of the opening frame when he elected to keep the puck on a two-on-one rush with classmate Carson Dimoff and beat Marshall with a wrister from the hashmarks that snuck under the blocker for a 1-0 St. Lawrence lead. Senior Michael Laidley picked up the lone assist on the play – his first point of the season – with a block in the defensive zone that sprung Pickering the other way.

RPI answered less than four minutes later when Ottoville Leppanen was able to push a loose puck under Mannella for the equalizer. Mannella and the Saints argued no goal, but it was confirmed after a brief review.

At the 17:35 mark of the first, Suthers took a pass from Carson Gicewicz in the neutral zone and skated in one-on-one with an RPI defender. Similar to Pickering's goal, Suthers beat Marshall with a wrist shot on the blocker side to put the Saints in front 2-1. First-year Michael Schumacher earned his first collegiate point with the secondary assist on Suthers' third of the season.

Thirty-one seconds later, Jake Marrello tied the game again for RPI with a quick turnaround shot from the bottom of the right circle after the puck kicked off a skate and onto his stick to make it 2-2.

RPI appeared to have taken the lead early in the second period as the call on the ice was a good goal, but it was waived off after review and the teams went into the second intermission still tied at 2-2.

In the latter half of the third, the Engineers got their second power play chance of the game with a penalty to sophomore defenseman Dylan Woolf and Jacob Hayhurst beat Mannella just 16 seconds into the man-advantage to put RPI in front for good, 3-2.

Hayhurst finished with a goal and an assist for the Engineers who finished 1-for-2 on the power play. The Saints went 0-for-1.

The Saints had a number of chances in the final seconds, including one off a shot from Michael Ederer as time expired, but Marshall was there with a left pad save.

RPI outshot St. Lawrence 37-25 in the win.

The Saints will return to Appleton Arena next Saturday for a single non-conference game against Mercyhurst at 7 p.m.