ECAC Hockey, an NCAA Division I men’s and women’s ice hockey league comprised of 12 member institutions, seeks qualified applicants for the position of Director of Officials.
Reports to: ECAC Hockey Commissioner and Assistant Commissioner
- Oversee all aspects of the ECAC Hockey Officiating Program.
- Assign and supervise on-ice officials for all ECAC Hockey games (i.e., exhibition, league, non-league and post-season).
- Serve as liaison between ECAC Hockey member institutions’ coaches and ECAC Hockey on-officials, and between ECAC Hockey on-officials and the NCAA.
- Identify, recruit and assign the most-qualified officials to work in ECAC Hockey.
- Create a consistent line of communication with ECAC Hockey coaches to minimize conflict and foster greater understanding of officiating-related issues.
- Address concerns, questions and feedback from coaches or administrators of member institutions in a professional and timely manner.
- Provide consistency in the interpretation of NCAA hockey rules and officiating mechanics.
- Develop and implement an ongoing training/development program for all ECAC Hockey on-officials, including an annual officiating preseason clinic.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive and effective observation and evaluation program.
- Communicate with ECAC Hockey coaches prior to the playing season for the purpose of reviewing rules and points of emphasis.
- Review, compile and distribute video of game situations while providing feedback to on-officials for further development and guidance.
- In conjunction with the Commissioner, lead ECAC Hockey through all supplemental discipline reviews, in accordance with conference policies and procedures.
- Develop strong working relationships with NCAA staff and other conference Directors of Officials to identify potential on-officials, exchange on-officials to work other conferences, and ensure ECAC Hockey on-officials understand and are correctly and consistently applying NCAA playing rules.
- Prepare an annual officiating report for presentation to ECAC Hockey administrators and coaches at the annual ECAC Hockey meetings in late April.
- Attend and represent ECAC Hockey at all NCAA officiating-related meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Commissioner.
- Experience as a collegiate hockey official.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to relate effectively with on-officials, coaches and administrators.
- Extensive knowledge of NCAA hockey rules, officiating mechanics and techniques.
- Experience and skill utilizing video and video editing.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Experience as a clinician, evaluator and recruiter of hockey officials.
- Accessibility and ability to return messages within a timely manner.
To Apply: Email a resume and cover letter to:
Commissioner | ECAC Hockey
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.