HAMDEN, Conn. – The Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team defeated Rensselaer, 4-1, in its final home game of the regular season. The Bobcats improve to 13-15-4 and 8-10-2 in the ECAC while the Engineers drop to 5-23-4 and 4-14-2 in the conference.
Four different Bobcats scored including Craig Martin (Trail, British Columbia), who put Quinnipiac on the board before Scott Davidson(Trail, British Columbia), Brandon Fortunato(North Hills, New York) and Bo Pieper(Roseville, Minnesota) all scored power-play goals as the Bobcats went 3-for-7 with a man-advantage. Freshman goalie Keith Petruzzelli (Wilbraham, Massachusetts) made 22 saves in the Bobcats victory.
Quinnipiac 4 | Rensselaer 1
Quinnipiac 13-15-4 (8-10-2 ECAC) | Rensselaer 5-23-4 (4-14-2 ECAC)
Frank Perrotti, Jr. Arena | Hamden, Conn.
- 4:57 1st, (Quinnipiac 1, Rensselaer 0): Tanner MacMaster (Calgary, Alberta) fed the puck through the zone to Craig Martin (Trail, British Columbia) just outside the opposite face-off circle. Martin wristed a shot through traffic to the far post that beat RPI goalie Linden Marshall, top-shelf, to give the Bobcats an early lead.
- 12:22 2nd, (Quinnipiac 2, Rensselaer 0): In tic-tac-toe fashion on the power play, John Furgele (Glen Mills, Penn.) passed to puck to Matt Forchuk (Okotoks, Albeta) in the face-off circle before Furgele zipped a pass through the Engineers' defensive zone to Davidson for the one-timer from just above the goal line.
- 13:36 2nd, (Quinnipiac 3, Rensselaer 0): Still on the power play, Odeen Tufto (Chaska, Minn.) twirled around a player on the boards and sent it back to Brogan Rafferty (Dundee, Ill.) at the point. Rafferty ripped a shot from the blue line that was stopped by Marshall before Brandon Fortunato (North Hills, N.Y.) cleaned up the rebound for the goal.
- 11:35 3rd, (Quinnipiac 3, Rensselaer 1): On the Engineers' power play, Mike Prapavessis took a shot from the point that went wide and ricocheted off the boards to the front of the net where Donovan Ott was there to collect it and wrist it past Petruzzelli to put RPI on the board.
- 16:24 3rd, (Quinnipiac 4, Rensselaer 1): On a Bobcat power play, MacMaster went one-on-three through the Engineers defensive zone and crashed on net. The puck played off of Marshall's pads before Pieper collected the puck above the crease and deposited the Bobcats' third power-play goal of the night.
- Fortunato's goal was his fifth of the season and third in his last four games.
- Odeen Tufto's two-assist gave him his 13th multiple-point game of the season, as well as increased his season-long tally to 28 assists and 36 points, all of which lead all NCAA Division I freshmen.
- MacMaster's two assists gives him 17 for the year and also push his point total to 29 for the season.
- Pieper's goal was his 11th of the season. Last year's goal leader sits third behind Alex Whelan (13) and MacMaster (12).
- Freshman Matt Forchuk (Okotoks, Alberta) picked up a point in his second-straight game. The first-year Bobcat scored in Quinnipiac's loss to Union on Friday night before setting up Scott Davidson's goal against RPI.
- Davidson's goal was his second of the season, and first since Dec, 8, 2018 against Maine.
- Craig Martin's fourth goal of the season was also his second point of the weekend after he picked up an assist against Union on Friday.
- After the first 18 games of the season and heading into the first-half break after the Bobcats' weekend series against Maine on Dec. 8-9, Quinnipiac was 9-for-69 (13%) on the power play. Since then, the Bobcats are 12-for-49 for 24.5% over its last 14 games including 6-for-21 over its last five games for 28.6%.
- Quinnipiac is now tied for sixth-place in the ECAC Hockey standings with 20 points, along with Colgate, Princeton and Yale. The Bobcats can finish as high as fifth but no lower than ninth place.
Quinnipiac heads out on the road for its final two games of the regular season next weekend, taking on St. Lawrence on Friday, Feb. 23, and Clarkson on Saturday, Feb. 24.