HAMILTON, New York – Quinnipiac senior Bo Pieper (Roseville, Minnesota) scored the game-winner in overtime as the Bobcats defeated No. 17 Colgate, 4-3, at the Class of 1965 Arena in Hamilton, New York. Quinnipiac improves to 8-10-2 overall and 4-5-1 in ECAC Hockey play while Colgate drops to 8-7-4 overall and 4-2-1 in league play.
Quinnipiac 4 | Colgate 3
Quinnipiac (8-10-2, 4-5-1 ECAC Hockey | Colgate (8-7-4, 4-2-1 ECAC Hockey
Class of 1965 Arena (Hamilton, N.Y.)
- 14:38, 1st (Colgate 1, Quinnipiac 0): Adam Dauda put Colgate on the board first with a power-play goal with less than six minutes to play in the first period. Nick Austin fed Jacob Panetta at the point who handed the puck to Dauda just above the face-off circle for the one-timer.
- 00:45, 2nd (Quinnipiac 1, Colgate 1): Landon Smith (Greenwood Village, Colorado) won a battle on the wall deep in the Bobcats defensive zone and fed Tanner MacMaster (Calgary, Alberta) just above the blue line. MacMaster carried the puck deep into the Colgate zone before his back-hand pass across the slot found Odeen Tufto's (Chaska, Minnesota) stick for the one-timer to tie the game early in the second period.
- 5:29, 2nd (Quinnipiac 2, Colgate 1): Alex Whelan (Ramsey, New Jersey) scored his team-leading eighth goal on a tip in front of the net to give Quinnipiac a 2-1 lead. Karlis Cukste (Riga, Latvia) started the play along the boards before zipping a pass across the ice to John Furgele (Glen Mills, Pennsylvania) at the opposite point. Furgele bombed the puck on goal where Whelan was able to tip it past Colgate goalie Zac Hamilton to give Quinnipiac the lead.
- 8:41, 2nd (Quinnipiac 3, Colgate 1): Whelan stuck again just over three minutes later. The second-year Bobcat started the play when he carried the puck out from behind the Colgate goal and handed it to Furgele at the point. Furgele had his shot blocked but Whelan, who was cycling to the top of the zone behind Furgele, picked up the loose puck and wristed a shot through traffic that beat Hamilton, top shelf.
- 19:11, 3rd (Colgate 2, Quinnipiac 3): Nick Austin scored off a rebound in the slot to pull the Raiders within a goal.
- 19:37, 3rd (Colgate 3, Quinnipiac 3): Twenty-six seconds later, with an empty net, Dauda scored his second of the game after picking up a loose puck in front of the Bobcats' net to send the game to overtime.
- 00:22, OT (Quinnipiac 4, Colgate 3): Brandon Fortunato (North Hills, New York) handed the puck to Brogan Rafferty (Dundee, Illinois) who fired a shot on goal. Bo Pieper slid across the crease and managed to get his stick on the puck and redirect it past Colgate's goal for the overtime game-winner.
- Tufto's goal was the freshman's fourth of the season while he also picked up his team-leading 20thpoint of the season on the play.
- MacMaster's assist was his eighth of the year, while Landon Smith's assist was his seventh.
- Whelan's two third-period goals were his second and third of the week after he scored in Tuesday night's 3-0 win at UConn.
- Whelan now leads Quinnipiac with nine goals to date, eight of which have come on the road.
- Furgele's two-assist night is his first multiple-point game of the season and of his Quinnipiac career.
- Pieper's goal was his third in his last three games and fourth in last seven.
- This was the sixth time this season that Quinnipiac has gone to overtime, and now own a 3-1-2 record in extended play.
Goals: Alex Whelan, 2 (9), Odeen Tufto (4), Bo Pieper (5)
Assists: John Furgele, 2 (7), Tanner MacMaster (8), Landon Smith (7), Karlis Cukste (8), Brandon Fortunato (1), Brogan Rafferty (6).
Points: Whelan (11), Furgele (8), 2
Saves: Andrew Shortridge (20)
Quinnipiac will travel to Ithaca, N.Y. on Saturday, Jan. 6 to face No. 5 Cornell in an ECAC Hockey matchup at Lynah Rink at 7 p.m. live on ESPN3 and TSNGO.