HAMDEN, Conn. – Landon Smith's natural hat trick and Andrew Shortridge's first shutout of the season powered the Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team to a 5-0 win against Brown at the Frank Perrotti, Jr. Arena at the TD Bank Sports Center. The win snaps a four-game skid for Quinnipiac as they improve to 4-5-1 overall and 1-4-0 in league play. Brown drops to 2-5-0 overall and in ECAC Hockey action.
Chase Priskie (Pembroke Pines, Florida) and Tanner MacMaster (Calgary, Alberta) provided the Bobcats' final two goals of the night, while each also picked up an assist in the game. Smith also set up MacMaster's goal for a career-best four points. Odeen Tufto(Chaska, Minnesota) added two assists to give him a team-high nine assists and 11 points.
Brown 0 / Quinnipiac 5
Brown 2-5-0 (2-5-0 ECAC) | Quinnipiac 4-5-1 (1-4-0 ECAC)sx
Frank Perrotti, Jr. Arena / Hamden, Conn.
- 12:03, 1st (Quinnipiac 1, Brown 0): On the power play, John Furgele ripped a shot off the pads of the Bears' goalie that left a rebound that landed on the stick of Landon Smith in the crease. Smith shot the puck past the left pad of Brown goalie Luke Kania to get the Bobcats on the board.
- 13:55, 1st (Quinnipiac 2, Brown 0): Brogan Rafferty shot the puck from the point before Landon Smithtipped the shot between the pads of Kania.
- 2:27, 2nd (Quinnipiac 3, Brown 0): On a two-on-one in the Bears' defensive zone, Tanner MacMasterfired a shot off of Kania's pads before Smith picked up the rebound and deposited his third goal of the night.
- 8:24, 2nd (Quinnipiac 4, Brown 0): On the power play, after winning the puck out of the corner, Bo Piepersent the puck across the zone to Chase Priskie who one-timed the puck over the shoulder of Kania.
- 14:18, 2nd (Quinnipiac 5, Brown 0): Smith sauced the puck to a waiting MacMaster on the far side of the net, who blasted it past Kania to extend the Bobcats lead.
- Landon Smith had a career-high four points (three goals, one assist) in the victory, while his three points stood as his third hat trick of his career.
- Smith's feat made him one of two players, along with Brandon Wong, to record a hat trick against the same team twice in his career; Smith's hat trick was his second against Brown after he recorded one against the Bears on Jan. 30, 2015; Wong had three against Union in his career.
- Wong is the Quinnipiac Division I leader with four career hat tricks while Smith's three-goal night tied Ben Nelson for second with three hat tricks.
- Chase Priskie now has a goal in three straight games. The last player to score in three straight was Kevin Duane from Dec. 3-10, 2016
- Priskie now has three goals and two assists in his last three games.
- Shortridge stopped 22 shots to help him notch his first shutout of the season, and second of his career. Both of Shortridge's career shutouts have come against Brown, the last one in a 1-0 victory against the Bears in February.
Quinnipiac hits the ice on Saturday, hosting ECAC rival Yale at Frank Perrotti, Jr. Arena at the TD Bank Sports Center in Hamden, Conn. The puck will drop at 7 p.m. and can be seen live on ESPN3.