St. Lawrence Get Win at Dartmouth

Michael Ederer scored with 3:33 to play in the third period to give No. 20 St. Lawrence a 5-4 win at Dartmouth on Friday night and help the Saints secure a first-round bye in the upcoming ECAC Hockey playoffs for the third straight season.

St. Lawrence broke out of its recent slump with five different players scoring in the win – the first for St. Lawrence in February and the first five-goal game since the last time the Saints faced Dartmouth at Appleton on Dec. 3. Taggart CorriveauGavin BayreutherDrew SmolcynskiMike Marnell and Ederer each tallied goals, while Ederer, Smolcynski and senior defenseman Eric Sweetman finished with two points apiece.

With the game still scoreless in the first, Kyle Hayton made two massive saves on 2-on-1 opportunities for the Big Green to keep Dartmouth off the board. He finished with 14 saves for St. Lawrence in the first period and 28 in the win.

At the 15:56 mark of the first period, Corriveau gave the Saints a 1-0 lead with his second goal of the season and first since Oct. 28 against Wisconsin. He picked up an errant pass coming out of the Dartmouth zone and moved in on the breakaway, deked Dartmouth netminder Devin Buffalo and tucked the puck in short side.

Just one minute into the second period Corey Kalk scored his first of three for Dartmouth on a rebound at the top of the crease to tie the game at 1-1.

But St. Lawrence responded with two straight goals from Bayreuther and Smolcynski to take a 3-1 lead, with the latter coming on the power play with Dartmouth in the box for a too many men on the ice penalty.

Three straight goals by Dartmouth, one from Will Graber late in the second and two from Kalk - both on the power play - in the third allowed the Big Green to take their first lead of the game, 4-3.

Penalties to the Saints' Ryan Lough and Matt Purmal in the third gave Dartmouth 37 seconds of a 5-on-3 with 12:47 to play. Kalk scored the first power play goal just 17 seconds into the 5-on-3 and added the second one minute and 21 seconds later for the 4-3 lead.

But less than two minutes later, with the bye on the line, the Saints battled back and Marnell tied the game with his first goal since the Clarkson game at Appleton Arena on Dec. 9 on a rip from the top of the right circle.

And with 3:33 to play, Joe Sullivan played a loose puck off the half wall deep in the St. Lawrence defensive zone to Ederer on the left wing side. The Lancaster, N.Y. native carried the puck into the Dartmouth zone and took a slapshot from just inside the blue line that deflected off a defender's stick and beat Buffalo low on the glove side for a 5-4 St. Lawrence lead.

Two of Hayton's seven saves in the third period came in the final two minutes with Dartmouth pressuring with the extra attacker. He stopped Michalowski with the left pad on a quick shot from the bottom of the circle and made another with the right with less than a minute to play that kicked out to the circle and allowed the Saints to clear the threat.

The Saints are now 16-10-7 overall and 12-5-4 in ECAC Hockey games and solidly in fourth with 28 points in the conference standings.

They will finish the regular season at Harvard on Saturday night, with puck drop scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Bright-Landry Hockey Center in Cambridge.