Cornell ties with Clarkson

ITHACA, N.Y. — Junior forward Trevor Yates erased the Cornell men's hockey team's two-goal deficit with a pair of goals Friday, as the Big Red rallied to salvage a 3-3 tie with Clarkson at Lynah Rink. Yates also assisted on sophomore forward Anthony Angello's goal in the first period.
"I thought that we were just average tonight, and I think they have a good hockey team," said Mike Schafer, the Jay R. Bloom '77 Head Coach of Men's Hockey. "It's easy to see why they're in the top four of five of our league."
Cornell (11-4-2, 6-2-2 ECAC Hockey), which entered the game ranked 14th in the USA TODAY/USA Hockey Magazine poll and 15th in the poll, was playing just its fifth home game of the season and its first since the opening weekend of December. But it was Clarkson (11-9-4, 6-4-2) that came out with speed and forced the issue in a physical opening 30 minutes of the game. A poor in the neutral zone by the Big Red led to Jordan Boucher's breakaway goal, and the Golden Knights took the lead in the 17th minute.
It took the Big Red just 93 seconds to even the score, though, on its first four-on-four goal of the season. Extended possession in Clarkson's zone paid off when sophomore defenseman Alec McCrea worked the puck to Yates at the top of the zone, then Yates alerted just snapped a shot toward goal. Clarkson goaltender Jake Kielly was able to make the save, but Angello was open on the top of the crease to gather the puck and convert the rebound.
Clarkson generated just 16 shots on goal in the game, but it converted on the few quality chances it put on net. Boucher's second of the net restored the Golden Knights' lead at 6:45 of the second period, then the visitors took a two-goal lead at the 9-minute mark on a power-play goal. Brett Gervais was open beside the crease, receiving a pass from Sam Vigneualt and shoveling the puck into the crease. The puck ended up caroming in off a sliding Cornell defenseman attempting to recover on the play.
"We didn't control their top line," Schafer said. "We weren't aware when they were on the ice, and they scored two goals."
But for the third time in just five home games this year, Cornell erased a two-goal deficit to escape defeat. Yates' first goal came with 3:22 left in the second period after he worked with sophomore forward Mitch Vanderlaan and senior forward Matt Buckles to advance the puck deep into Clarkson territory. Buckles took a shot that went wide of the near post, but Vanderlaan was able to fish the puck out behind the net and set up Yates back toward the near post. His shot went under Golden Knights goalie Jake Kielly (28 saves).
Cornell then knotted the game for good early in the third period. Working on the forecheck on the first shift of the frame, senior forward Jake Weidner drew a holding penalty behind the Clarkson net. Just 29 seconds later, Yates netted his eighth goal of the season after Weidner's shot from the top of the circle was blocked.
"We showed stretches the kind of game we need to play … but we're not happy with the effort," Yates said. "We're a lot better team than we showed tonight."
Senior goaltender Mitch Gillam made 13 saves and extended his personal unbeaten streak to 10 games (9-0-1).
The Big Red continues its home stand at 7 p.m. Saturday, when it welcomes fellow ECAC Hockey contender St. Lawrence to Lynah Rink in a battle of nationally ranked teams.