Knights Earn Win at No. 19 Quinnipiac

Following up on the win over its arch-rival last Saturday, the Clarkson University Hockey team continued to build momentum for a strong stretch run with a 4-2 victory on the road at 19th-ranked Quinnipiac in Hamden, CT on Friday night.

Winners of its last two games, the Golden Knights improve to 13-12-4 overall and to 8-7-2 in ECAC Hockey. Clarkson, which, stands in sixth place in the conference standings, three points shy of fifth, plays at Princeton on Saturday. The Tigers, who defeated St. Lawrence 3-1 on Friday, are unbeaten in their last five games (3-0-2).

Defensemen tallied the Knights' first three goals and freshman goaltender Jake Kielly (Eden Prairie, MN) made 33 saves as Clarkson overcame a slow start to win for only the third time at High Points Solutions Arena. It was the Knights' first victory in Hamden since December 4, 2010.

Quinnipiac (16-12-2, 10-7-1) outshot the Green and Gold 35-31.

The Bobcats controlled play in the opening 20 minutes, outshooting Clarkson 17-9. After a stoppage of play for several minutes to fix the glass in the Clarkson end, Quinnipiac's Chase Priskie scored on deflection off the ensuing faceoff for a quick 1-0 lead 3:16 into the game.

Clarkson regrouped in between periods and came out with a strong final 40 minutes to claim its seventh road win of the season.

Sophomore defenseman Aaron Thow (Toronto, ONT) found a loose puck at the top of the right faceoff circle and fired in a hard, heavy slap shot at 1:59 of the second to tie the game. Senior Troy Josephs (Whitby, ONT) and junior Sam Vigneault(Baie-Comeau, QUE) picked up the assists.

The Knights came through with a big shorthanded effort, killing off a five-minute major just 2:11 into the period.

Thow set up the Knights' go-ahead score when from behind the Quinnipiac net found blueline partner freshman Greg Moro (Edmonton, ALB) at top of the point. Moro ripped a shot from the top of the circle with just 36 seconds left in the middle frame for his second collegiate goal.

Senior captain James de Haas (Mississauga, ONT) gave Clarkson a two-goal lead at 3:31 of the final frame, knocking in a rebound off a shot by freshman Haralds Egle (Liepaja, Latvia). Vigneault picked up his second assist of the night and 20th of the year on the eventual game-winner.

At 12:18 of the third the Bobcats pulled to within one as Kevin McKernan poked in a shot during a scramble in front.

Quinnipiac pulled its goaltender with 3:06 remaining in regulation, but the Knights held off the home team and sealed the deal with an empty-net tally by Vigneault with 22 seconds remaining. Senior Perry D'Arrisso (Mississauga, ONT) was credited with the assist.

Clarkson went 0-of-2 on the power play and killed off all three of Quinnipiac man-advantage opportunities.