Véronneau's OT Goal, Robinson's Tying Goal Keep Princeton's Season Alive

There were nine seconds left in Princeton's season. Or at least it seemed that way. Nine seconds to go, and then there'd be the handshake line, the congratulations to Colgate, and the knowledge that the program had started to turn the corner.

Now there were six seconds left. The puck had bounced around the Colgate zone, and now it was on the stick of Josh Teves. Fired to the goal. Five. Four. Knocked around by Jackson Cressey. Three ...

And then out of nowhere came a diving Eric Robinson - ... two ... and then it was in the net. And then a glance at a clock ... and it said ... one.

Overtime. And then it was Max Véronneau, from no angle, tucking it into the goal, giving Princeton an improbable and heartstopping 4-3 win over Colgate to keep the season alive.

Robinson's goal, with one second left in regulation, and Véronneau's goal, with 3:43 left in overtime, ensured that there'd be a Game 3 in this best-of-three ECAC opening round playoff series, to be held at Hobey Baker Rink Sunday night at 7. The winner will advance to next weekend's league quarterfinals.

Colgate won Game 1 3-2 Friday night in overtime, and it looked all the world like it was about to be the Raiders in a sweep. Colgate grabbed a 2-0 lead at the end of the first period before Princeton tied it on goals by Cressey and Ryan Kuffner, but the Raiders jumped back in front just less than two minutes later, with 6:49 left in the period.

It stayed that way through the rest of the second and then throughout a tense third, all the way until Princeton pulled goalie Colton Phinney, all the way until the final minute, the final 10 seconds and ultimately the tying goal, which drew gasps from all over Hobey Baker Rink.

Both teams had chances in the OT, and then it was Véronneau, the sophomore, who ended it, launching an unassisted goal from basically even with the goal line, a shot that just snuck in the top of the goal, setting off a celebration - and a deciding game Sunday.