Brown Edged at Clarkson

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Tim Lappin (St. Charles, Ill.) scored late in the third period to even the score, but Clarkson responded with a quick goal, as the Brown men's hockey team fell on the road, 3-2, in Friday's ECAC contest at Cheel Arena.

Clarkson improved to 7-5-1 overall and 4-1-0 in the ECAC, while Brown dropped to 1-6, 1-4 in the conference.

Lappin scored at 15:19 in the third period to even the score at 2-2, but Haralds Egle answered 28 seconds later push the visitors back in front for the eventual win. Charlie Corcoran (New Canaan, Conn.) added a second-period goal for the Bears.

Tim Ernst (Pickering, Ontario) made 21 saves in the loss, while Jake Kielly recorded 26 stops on the other end. Brown outshot Clarkson, 28-24, overall.

Clarkson raced out of the gate and controlled possession during the first half of the opening period, but Brown killed an early penalty and settled down the rest of the way, drawing even in shots at 10 apiece.

Nevertheless, Devin Brosseau scored with 21 seconds remaining in the period, scoring on a feed from Nico Sturm to give the Golden Knights a one-goal lead heading into the first intermission.

Brown evened the score midway through the second period when Corcoran notched his team-high fourth goal of the season. After Conner Wynne (Pomona, N.Y.) gathered a loose puck and found Corcoran along the boards, the junior carried it into the offensive zone, skated in front of the net and rifled a shot under the pad of Kielly to tie the game.

Clarkson killed off a pair of penalties during the final seven minutes of the second period to preserve the tie. Brown outshot Clarkson, 7-6, in the middle stanza.

Brosseau scored on the power play at 12:44 in the third period for his second tally of the game to give the home side the one-goal advantage.

Brown battled back at 15:19 when Lappin tied the game, pushing the puck past Kielly for his first of the season. Sam Lafferty (Hollidaysburg, Pa.) and Max Willman (Barnstable, Mass.) were credited with assists on the play.

After Egle scored the go-ahead goal at 15:47, Brown pulled Ernst with a minute left in regulation, but the Bears could not find the equalizer as the Golden Knights held on for the win.

Brown will visit No. 20 St. Lawrence tomorrow at 7 PM.