Princeton Pulls Off League Win Over No. 7 Quinnipiac

Junior defender Matt Nelson's first goal of the season was came at an opportune time as it marked the game-winning goal at 15:55 of the third as Princeton earned a 5-3 win over No. 7 Quinnipiac on Friday at Hobey Baker Rink.

It was an unassisted goal was Nelson grabbed a puck that a Quinnipiac player tried to ice out of the air and dropped it at the blue line. A quick rip and it went five hole  on Chris Truehl at 15:55.
Two minutes later when Princeton was called for a holding infraction, Quinnipiac called a timeout and pulled Truehl for the 6x4.  Senior Colton Phinney turned away all three shots on goal he faced before the teams the penalty was complete.
Sophomore Max Véronneau, who had three assists during the game, picked off a bouncing puck just inside the Princeton defensive zone and banked it off the boards for junior Eric Robinson who put away an empty-net goal.
The Tigers scored the first goal and never allowed the Bobcats to get ahead with three ties during the game and Princeton holding the lead four times.
Sophomore Alex Riche won a face off deep in the defensive zone and got it to linemate Ryan Kuffner on the right side. Kuffner slid the puck across the ice to Véronneau who was in front of the team benches. With a man on, he slotted for Riche who ripped a shot off the pad of Truehl and out to the left side where Kuffner buried the rebound as Princeton went up 1-0 at 5:03.
Four minutes later it was a 1-1 game when the Bobcats converted on their first power-play opportunity. Kevin Duane snuck the puck between Phinney and the right pipe from near the extended red after Landon Smith pushed the puck down the ice after getting it from Kevin McKernan.
The ECAC Rookie of the Week Jackson Cressey tallied his second goal in as many games at 5:27 of the second period. The Tigers quickly broke the puck out and with Veronneau connecting with junior David Hallisey inside the left circle. Hallisey found Cressey open in the slot for the score.
Again Quinnipiac responded four minutes later as Landon Smith and Kevin McKernan teamed up again at 9:24.
Riche net the go-ahead goal at 17:29 of the second when he tipped in a Tommy Davis shot from the right point. Kuffner was credited with the secondary assist with the feed to the blue line.
Thomas Aldworth was able to collected his own blocked shot and was able to get the second chance shot to go to even the game at 3-3 just two minutes into the third.
Phinney made 33 saves in the game as the Tigers win their second consecutive ECAC game to improve to 4-7-1 overall and 2-6-1 in the league.
Quinnipiac had a 36-29 advantage in shots as Truehl stopped 24.
The teams will meet again tomorrow, this time at TD Bank Sports Center. Game time is at 4 p.m.