Huge Third Period Helps No. 12 Dartmouth Overpower Clarkson

HANOVER, N.H. - Four goals in the third period was the difference Saturday night as the No. 12 Dartmouth men's hockey team knocked off Clarkson, 5-1, at Thompson Arena.

A night after surrendering three in the final frame to St. Lawrence, the Big Green (11-7-2, 7-4-1 ECAC) bounced back in a big way with four of its own against the Golden Knights (5-13-6, 4-6-2 ECAC).

Tyler Sikura, Eric Robinson, Dustin Walsh and Alex Goodship all netted tallies in the third to put a game their team controlled out of the reach of a resilient Clarkson squad looking to build off of its own 5-1 win Friday night at Harvard.

The Green and White were dominant, putting 49 shots on goal in the game, far and away the highest figure of the season for the team. In contrast, their team defense allowed only 21 shots to reach junior netminder Cab Morris, who turned aside all but one in improving to 8-3-1.

The victory helps Dartmouth keep pace in the ECAC Hockey standings as the 15 points moves it back into a third-place tie with Union (6-4-3).

After Matt Lindblad gave his team a 1-0 lead midway through the game, the dynamic Dartmouth offense was put on display in the final stanza. Sikura finished a 2-on-1 rush with freshman Brad Schierhorn for a power-play tally and the two-goal advantage.

Joe Zarbo pulled the visitors to within a goal as he knocked in a rebound in the low slot with an even nine minutes showing on the clock.

However, just under three minutes later, a long stretch pass from team captain and senior Mike Keenan in the defensive zone hit Robinson in stride at the far blueline. A juke move and some nice hands saw the junior slide his team-leading 10th goal of the season beyond the outstretched pad of freshman goalie Greg Lewis in the Clarkson crease.

Walsh hit the empty net from center ice with 1:03 left to seal it, but the game wasn't over with just a three-goal difference. Goodship, making his season debut alongside fellow senior Jason Bourgea, let go a wrist shot that beat Lewis on the glove side to make it a 5-1 contest with just 36 seconds left.

The defensive pairing of freshman Ryan Bullock and Keenan helped start several of the scoring plays in their own end as each finished the night with a pair of helpers.

Despite the loss, Lewis was spectacular in goal, stopping 44 in 58:21 of action. He had 18 and 17 saves, respectively, in the first two periods before the Big Green awoke with their offensive surge in the third.

Dartmouth is back in action next week against Union in a crucial league contest. The game will be broadcast to a national audience on the NBC Sports Network. Puck drop from Messa Rink in Schenectady, N.Y., is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.