Saints Unbeaten Streak Snapped

Nov. 10: Yale senior wing Andrew Miller scored a pair of goals and the Elis played St. Lawrence University's special teams even, snapping a five-game Saint unbeaten streak with a 4-2 win at Ingalls Rink Saturday night.
The Saints had to settle for a single point on their opening ECAC road trip after a 3-3 tie at Brown on Friday and Saturday's 4-2 setback and will take a 5-2-1 overall mark and a 0-1-1 league record into home games against Princeton and Quinnipiac next weekend.

The Saints ended up with an edge in shots on goal and had stretches of dominant play, but Yale came away with the goals at key junctures to gain a split of its ECAC weekend.

The Saints dominated the opening period, outshooting Yale by a significant margin early, but couldn't get the puck past Yale goalie Jeff Malcolm. Yale started to find its stride late in the first and scored the game's first goal when junior Kenny Agostino picked up a rebound after a save by Saint goalie Matt Weninger on a shot by defenseman Rob O'Gara and tucked it back past Weninger for his fourth of the year with 1:04 to play in the opening period.

Miller made it a 2-0 game with his first goal of the season scoring on a wrist shot inside the far post from Agostino and O'Gara at 11:28 of the second, but the Saints got that one back shorthanded on a pretty passing play in the Yale end. Jeremy Wick broke up a Yale rush and got the puck to George Hughes, who in turn hit Kyle Essery in stride as Essery crashed the net. Essery put the puck past Malcolm at 13:19 for his second of the year, making it a 2-1 game after two periods.

The Saint coaching staff juggled their lines to try to create more scoring in the third period, but Yale scored the first two goals of the final 20 minutes. Sophomore Trent Ruffolo got the first on a stuff in of a rebound off an initial shot by Clint Bourbonais at 4:34 and Miller scored his second of the game on a power play rocket which snuck just under the crossbar from the center point at 7:35 to give Yale a 4-1 lead.

The Saints, who outshot Yale 12-7 in the third period, kept battling and pulled back to within two when Tommy Thompson scored his second of the year, putting away a rebound of a shot by Justin Baker at 12:47, but while the Saints had some chances, including a late power play and then pulling Weninger for an extra attacker in the final minute, they could not get closer.

Weninger finished with 28 saves for the Saints while Malcolm had 32 for Yale, which held the Saints scoreless in seven power play tries and broke even on its special teams, scoring one power play in seven attempts and giving up Essery's shorthander.